Question Should I or Shouldn't I (1 Viewer)

olorin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:05
Hi People,
I started doing some housekeeping on my UserCp by way of deleting threads that were started by me, and that were solved.
I deleted three of them and gave the reason for deleting as "Solved".
I then wondered if I should carry on and delete the rest, or is it better to leave them on here for other people to maybe gain some in-sight into problems solved.

How can I mark a thread as Solved?

I don't see an option in the "Thread Tools" drop down list.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 07:05
I would say don't. Once it's deleted, nobody can see it, and for all we know, it may have had helped other who searched for similar problems.

As for "Sovled", I understand it's only available in General Forum and not the rest of forums. :/

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I agree; much of the value of the site is the searchable archive of questions and answers. I wouldn't delete the resolved threads.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:05
Leave them. Only a day ago I went to a thread that I had stored as a favourite and it was gone. One of the posters had a simple way to hide the DOS CMD screen when a batch file was run. I tried it and I can't find on my computer where I tried it.

Quite often (very often) a thread will have a little piece of information that is gold and it might not even relate to the thread starter's question.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Frankly, I'm surprised the ability to delete threads isn't restricted to board admins/mods. Why would anyone need to do it?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Frankly, I'm surprised the ability to delete threads isn't restricted to board admins/mods. Why would anyone need to do it?

I was suprised like you when the thread I went back to was gone and only a recent one so not a forum archiving system.

I am going to start saving them to disk although they would get big. Just saved this one and it was 420K. That saving it as *.mht

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
My understanding was that it was to provide a easy way for noobs who made mistakes or duplicates to delete without having to have mods/admins babysit everyone.

I'd venture to guess that vBulletin doesn't provide a easy way of preventing deletion if there's already replies to the thread and thus the problem here.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
I'm also a little bit surprised that people want to delete resolved threads - not picking on the OP here, because this isn't the first time I've run across people doing it (or wanting to, on boards where it isn't possible).

olorin

Registered User.
Local time
Thanx so much for the logical reasons in all of your replies.
I agree totally with all of them.
It was only after I had deleted a couple, that I realised the value of solved threads.

It would be good to have a section where solved threads can be moved to, so as to make it easier for novices and experts alike to trawl through for resolved issues.

Thanx again for the replies

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
i would suggest leaving the solves and unsolved threads where they are. even the unsolved threads can be very helpful, like Mike375 said: it may contain gold without it ever having to do with the user's question (thus the thread is useful, but still unsolved).

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
IMHO threads should only be deleted if they have been double posted by mistake or posted in the wrong place. A solved thread can be very useful when you are looking for a solution - it gets boring seeming the same problem/solution posted several times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom