Sigh... STOP!!! (1 Viewer)

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Yesterday, 23:21
Not too long ago, I wrote a top ten ways to make sure your question was never answered. I'm going to append it.

1) "Help Plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" does not an answer give.
2) http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=85042
3) "I'm totally new to VBA" is not an excuse when you're asking for VBA. Someone providing you with the code teaches you nothing. Show code, show where you're stuck, show something.
4) Stop telling us how new you are and do not do suck up ("You guys are so great, and I've learned so much blah blah blah"). We know why we answer. If someone helped you before, reference that, and that's it.
5) The subject is just that. The freakin' subject. Remember that. "I'm stuck" is a bad subject. "Help with error resolution" is better.
6) We do this for free. Remember that.
7) Cross-posting -- not such a good idea.
8) Never, ever ask that posts are sent to email addresses. Are you that lazy?
9) Explain, in detail, what the issue is. The posts that are like, "I have this table where I query it, and it doesn't work!" followed by the query have no clear purpose. Make sure you know what you are asking for.
10) For god's sake, try to figure it out on your own. None of the stellar answer people (myself, boblarson, docman, rural guy, and the others I'm forgetting) got this way off of message boards alone. Yes, questions were asked (most likely before this place existed), but for the most part, programming is a self-tutorial through trial and error.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 05:21
Note to all newcomers to this forum like myself.

Read mark learn and inwardly digest.

This advice is so good

S

Sharks2431

I disagree with #4. Not that I'm a person who answers complicated questions. My knowledge is growing but still very limited.

Expressing appreciation and "sucking-up" are two very different things. For new users to Access like me, its a huge relief getting an answer that you've been trying to find for hours, days or even weeks. I'm sure its a similar deal with more veteran users as well. Once you find that answer (through the help of this forum) your (or atleast my) reaction is to be incredibly happy and relieved.

If the poster says something like "You people are golden gods" or something as over the top as that, I'd considerate it sucking up. But if all you want to say is "You guys are great", I consider that is an expression of deep appreciation - not sucking up. Maybe it's just me, but thats my 2 cents.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
As somebody who does answer few questions Moniker is right on the mark
Shark2431
We answer because we want to.... we do not answer so that we get posts saying your are brilliant.

The MOST Rewarding response is

Thanks for you response . It worked fine or

Thanks for your response but a still have a problem (now accurately describe problem)

So often help and assistance is given to a person with a problem and there is never a response to say that it worked or did not.

Remember that those that are responding to your problem do not have the details of exactly what you are trying to do or the design of your application. They are offering advice based on their experience of the possible condition. Like answering a crossword without most of the clues.

Not having a gripe at all but people who respond to your problem really would like to know if they have helped and assisted you to solve your problem

L

S

Sharks2431

Fair enough. You guys are the experts here so I can't really disagree. I'm just saying that over the top "thank you" messages may come with the territory. You're providing people with answers to questions that could take them a long time to solve otherwise. It's a natural human reaction to be extremely grateful.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 21:21
most of this I agree with, but sometimes a bit of humor adds to a thank you
and might raise a smile from one of the experts, who have lent their time and brain power to a problem -

but the rest of this, I do agree (even though I don't always abide by this myself) :rolleyes:

gary

Len Boorman

Local time
Gary is spot on

Humour in everything...always

L

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Yesterday, 23:21
You'd be amazed by some of the private messages I get. I very recently had one where a direct answer was provided, only to be ignored and then that person asked for the result of the solution to be emailed to a specific address. That's a really fast way to find the trashcan. (No email sent, btw.)

I'm all for humor, too, but give me something to laugh about. I've got a wicked streak in me. In a place like this where we really don't know each other, it's hard to poke fun or make jokes because you never know who will be offended or take something the wrong way. I know that Doc Man and Bob are pretty cool if only from separate conversations, but that's about it.

Now, if someone would like to explain to me how the number of Jesus bumper stickers on your car are inversely proportional to your driving ability, I'll be happy to listen. ;)

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Now, if someone would like to explain to me how the number of Jesus bumper stickers on your car are inversely proportional to your driving ability, I'll be happy to listen. ;)
Mmmm....
Maybe the worse your driving, the more divine assistance you need?:rolleyes:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I'd add the following:

Keep questions to the board. It may seem like a great idea to privately message someone who has helped someone in the past with a similar problem, but it's not. Nobody like unsolicited messages. Plus, keeping content to the board means others can share it. Make each solution a discussion. How else do we all get better?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Plus, the thing that some people don't understand is, if you PM your problem to someone (for example to me), they may or may not have time to answer your problem. OR, they may not WANT to answer that particular problem, OR they may not know the answer to that problem. There are questions I will bypass at times because I know that the answer, or follow up, is going to take more time, or effort, than I am willing to expend at the time.

So, the best thing is to POST ALL QUESTIONS TO THE FORUM. You have a better chance of getting someone to assist you anyway and it won't irritate someone because you sent an unsolicited PM. That's why you will see in my signature that I won't necessarily respond to someone who has sent an unsolicited PM. If I didn't ask you to send one, don't be surprised if I don't answer. I may, but the chances are much greater that I won't.

Len Boorman

Local time
If somebody PM's me directly with a question I do normally respond.

First statement is asking if they wish to engage me privately then we agree a fee up front.

That normally gets attention.

Yes I have assisted directly outside this forum for free. That was after I had invited the person to contact me direct.

What I do on the forum is free.

What I do privately is for me to decide

L

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Good point and interesting method. I may try that one out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom