Site hangs after posting? (1 Viewer)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:44
I was pleasantly surprised myself. I didn't mind the ads so much as this quick reply issue and the slower loading of some sites, where you could see they were waiting for the ads to load.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Today, 16:44
Thank you thank you. I'll accept your praise in monetary form!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Your check for a gazillion cyber-credits is in the mail! :p

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:44
i have firefox 3.5.8 (with auto-update enabled, so i don't know why you've got 3.6 and i don't - could yours be a beta version, i wonder... anyway)

and the EasyList USA enabled/subscribed also.

If by "google ads" you mean the banner ads that show on every page top and bottom - yes, i still see those.

wait a minute - ok, i've just gone into the settings that allow me to 'filter' specific urls (open blockable items - note that this is not easily done in the preferences dialog)... and there was "googleads.com".

so just installing it didn't help, looks like you need to manually add filters... (see image attached)

then gimme a moment to check.

Attachments

• AdBlockPlus.jpg
    AdBlockPlus.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 161

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
the verdict is... (This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 16 seconds.)

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
nope. still no worky for me (i.e., quick reply still hangs, but it DOES block the ads). and at the moment i am running on a no-proxy setup, so i know it can't have anything to do with a corporate proxy...

what else might you suggest? it sounds like you and george have both used it extensively in the past, so there may be settings there form long ago that you set and haven't thought about for yonks.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
ah, no - wait. the google ads have returned (yet the filter remains in my preferences!)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I just installed it and subscribed to the EasyList USA. With no other setting changes, I'm not seeing the ads in the middle of the thread and the quick reply works correctly. I did have to restart FireFox. Sounds like Ray is the resident expert though, so perhaps he has better thoughts.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
added more filters (google seems to know when one lot is blocked!?)

testing...

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
worked! though i am now on my corporate proxy... hope that isn't the thing that makes the difference...

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I doubt it. I followed the same process at home and at work and both worked fine.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
This actually brings up a pretty good point. If there are specific google ads that are causing the hangups, this might be something Jon will want to look into. Good job guys!

I never noticed any hangups, but I already had everything installed.

Local time
Today, 15:44
I actually feel kind of bad using this. Serving ads is what generates revenue for this site. But the site is almost unusable with the ads.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:44
Maybe it's the loading of the images and the way it handles it that doesn't like. It could be the piece of code that handles the sequence of the images. PHP could be choking on that if its routed via the POST/GET methods. Maybe look into optimising that. I've noticed the forums section is the only PHP powered section of the site and all other sections run fine even with (the simple-static) ads.

Just a thought.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Do you take US Treasury Bonds?

Yes of course I do.

Your check for a gazillion cyber-credits is in the mail! :p

Perfect! I'll wait by the mailbox

I wouldnt say im an expert about it, I kind of just stumbled upon the answer.

I do understand that the pay-per-click ads are how sites make money, but like the others said.. I can hardly use the site!

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
YES - it must be those Goodle ads they run only during the day between 10:00 and 14:00 UT.

This actually brings up a pretty good point. If there are specific google ads that are causing the hangups, this might be something Jon will want to look into. Good job guys!

I never noticed any hangups, but I already had everything installed.

Local time
Today, 15:44
YES - it must be those Goodle ads they run only during the day between 10:00 and 14:00 UT.

I think that's a separate issue. The "hanging" when posting replies was resolved for me by the ad blocker. The site is still oppressively slow at about the times you've indicated.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:44

What is "Goodle"?

It's a long shot, but I'm guessing you mean "Google". Surely copying something correctly is not beyond your reach.

Please try to get it right.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom