Slow Continuos Form Query - Looking For A Better Way... (1 Viewer)

rmulder

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:36
I have Table of orders, and a table of comments. The comments table has fields that cover date/time entered, name of user that added the comment, the text comment, and of course a field that ties it to a certain order_id. So, I have a continuous form showing a certain range of orders (50ish on average usually. I wanted to have a calculated field in my form showing the comment that is most recent to each order. So I came up with two calculated fields in my query to accomplish it. comment_count: IIf(DCount("[comment]","[Comments]","[load] =" & [Load].[ID])>0,"yes","no") latest_comment: IIf([comment_count]="yes",DLookUp("[comment]","[Comments]","[load] =" & [Load].[ID] & " AND [when_input] = #" & DMax("[when_input]","[Comments]","[load] =" & [Load].[ID]) & "#"),"") It works, but over the network, it's painfully slow to scroll and navigate the form. I'm looking for a way to accomplish the same thing efficiently but much quicker. Thanks in advance.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:36
So want to show the latest comment per ID? Show us some sample records from your Comments table. A spreadsheet or a legible screenshot will do.

rmulder

Registered User.
Local time
Here is my comments title. Each comment has a date/time and a load number it is attached to. So what I'm needing is to see for each load, the latest comment.

rmulder

Registered User.
Local time
Here's what my form for the loads looks like. Like I said, my code works, it's just not efficient and very slow. I'm thinking it's got to be the DMax, DLookup, etc. Maybe there's a better way like keeping a check box field that marks the comment as the newest. And each time a new comment is added, run a update query that clears check marks from all the other comment records matching that load id, then check the new comment just saved. just a thought.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:36
You can try two things to see which one is faster:

1. Create a query based on your Comments table, sort it in Descending Order by ID, use only a DLookup(). It will pick the Max comment because of the sort.

OR

2. Get the value from the query described above using a Recordset with the dbOpenSnapshot option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom