so the guy in the Computer Shop says "why do you want to use Access? MS will be discontinuing it soon" (1 Viewer)

too_old

Local time
Today, 20:47
Hi

I haven't used Access database engine on PCs for over 15 years and last used Access as a front end to SQL Server 10 years ago.
However, I now find myself volunteering with a small non-profit and they are looking to standardise their manual appt diary (managing appointments/transport for clients is their primary focus)... I casually mentioned that I have experience in this type of transition and would be happy to assist for free

Long story short.....whilst I still have Access (and SQl server) on my home machines...the non-profit's Office version does not include Access.
So I popped across to the local computer shop that sold and set up the solitary PC that they have and asked about adding Access.....to which I had the reply "why do you want to use Access? It is not really a business standard database, nobody uses it any more and MS will be discontinuing it soon".

Now I have heard this so many many times over the years (I cut my teeth on it in 1997) so I asked the shop guy what should I use instead...and received a reply that was basically "word soup"....." Well many ways really...java, cloud base, maybe python, web pages....yadda yadda" So I asked can you give me some examples to which his reply was "Nah...don't use databases myself ...Google it"

Well, I am too long in the tooth to start learning new languages and I have just started to realise that whilst I know what is possible in Access...because I have done them before, it's just that I have forgotten how ....<grin>.

So glad to see this forum alive and kicking.... I have already found a couple of answers and am sure that the community will help out if I cannot find what I am looking for.

Best wishes

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:47
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Hi

I haven't used Access database engine on PCs for over 15 years and last used Access as a front end to SQL Server 10 years ago.
However, I now find myself volunteering with a small non-profit and they are looking to standardise their manual appt diary (managing appointments/transport for clients is their primary focus)... I casually mentioned that I have experience in this type of transition and would be happy to assist for free

Long story short.....whilst I still have Access (and SQl server) on my home machines...the non-profit's Office version does not include Access.
So I popped across to the local computer shop that sold and set up the solitary PC that they have and asked about adding Access.....to which I had the reply "why do you want to use Access? It is not really a business standard database, nobody uses it any more and MS will be discontinuing it soon".

Now I have heard this so many many times over the years (I cut my teeth on it in 1997) so I asked the shop guy what should I use instead...and received a reply that was basically "word soup"....." Well many ways really...java, cloud base, maybe python, web pages....yadda yadda" So I asked can you give me some examples to which his reply was "Nah...don't use databases myself ...Google it"

Well, I am too long in the tooth to start learning new languages and I have just started to realise that whilst I know what is possible in Access...because I have done them before, it's just that I have forgotten how ....<grin>.

So glad to see this forum alive and kicking.... I have already found a couple of answers and am sure that the community will help out if I cannot find what I am looking for.

Best wishes
The guy in the computer shop is uninformed and therefore dangerous. I would find a different computer shop, if I were in your shoes.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
They can use the runtime. Just more work for you. However I just picked up office 2019 for about$60 for 5 pcs

DickyP

Local time
One is reminded of the Kirsty MacColl song "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis". This rumour is of similar veracity!

Mind you if you want alphabet soup try using the MS Apps which replaced Picture Manager after Office 2010: somehow purely pictorial buttons placed at random on the screen are supposed to be better than Menus with actual words on them. Luckily you can still download OIS.EXE separately.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:47
If the client doesn't have Access as part of his O365 subscription, he may have the on-line only option which just gives him word, excel, and outlook and nothing else. He can upgrade to the "family" plan which provides 6 licenses for Office including Access. The "family" plan goes under different names but currently sells for ~ $99 but can be found on sale at Costco. There may be a non-profit version but that will take some research.

I like my clients to have at least one full Office version so if I need to work on their PC, I have a full version of Access to use. For all other PCs, the client can use the free Access runtime engine. You just need to develop knowing this so you can provide the necessary menus that will not be available with the runtime.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 15:47
Can't help but give a quick laugh:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Your post reminded me of my perpetual "fight" with the MIS staff which refused to support MS Access. This has been an ongoing long term battle between people wanting to implement an MS Access solution and virtually all MIS departments. I'm retired now, so those old battles are good for an occasional story and snicker.

At the time I enjoyed working with MS Access. Times change. Today I would recommend using an opensource database, such as MariaDB and using your browser as the interface with the DB. Basically, implementing a webpage solution. Implementing this approach would have a steep learning curve. It would be worth it if you are starting from scratch, but if you already have an MS Access implementation set-up; stick with MS Access.

DickyP

Local time
I too like a good laugh.

Steve R. said:
perpetual "fight" with the MIS staff which refused to support MS Access

When I was working for a major IT Centric financial company we had an equally combative relationship with our IT Dept about Access which we only used for a couple of small applications. However, when we changed one of them to a LAMPS solution they then said "why couldn't you stick with Access"!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:47
When I worked with the U.S. Navy (as a contractor) we had a major database from BUMED - the Navy's database of medical doctors who had been granted the equivalent of a student loan, which would be forgiven if they then served 10 years as a Navy medical officer. It was an Access FE/SQL Server BE situation and worked just fine. The powers-that-be didn't like Access security but with that SQL backend, they didn't HAVE to like it. SQL did what was needed on the data security end of the bargain, and nobody cared about the front end. This, AFTER about three rounds of "Access is going away" made their rounds. The problem was made clear when the developer team pointed out that with an Access FE, interface development was shorter and cheaper than any of the other three solutions that were proposed. In some cases a LOT quicker.

All of the "Access is going away" crowd understands some other language and doesn't understand that Access is a Rapid Application Development tool that has significant cost advantages when developing AND it plays well with anything that speaks ODBC fluently. Best of both worlds -but some folks are like horses when it comes to cost of developing - you can lead them to ideas but you can't make them think.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe these rumors of Access's demise would stop if Microsoft actually cared about their product. The lack of enthusiasm and promotion from Microsoft coupled with the fact most IT departments distrust macros or automation running on their networks makes for a bad combination.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
fact most IT departments distrust macros or automation running on their networks
but they're strangely OK with it, as long as it comes from the team that develops in a more or advanced thing - which isn't really rational, as those .Net apps could be doing just as dangerous things (if not much more dangerous), they should learn to trust a person, rather than just a named product

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I tried that but didn't find a download location that I could trust - I thought maybe you'd already surpassed that, but perhaps not.

DickyP

Local time
Interesting - I couldn't put that link into the forum! It's where I got it from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom