SQL Server to Azure SQL (1 Viewer)

choaspes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:38
Hi All

I'm currently running a db with an Access front end linking to a SQL server back end. I'm fairly new to SQL server and it's been a steep learning curve but I've got past the immediate hurdles of learning elementary T-SQL for my pass through queries and using "dbSeeChanges" for my DAO dynaset update/add loops. Now the back end is going to be migrated to Azure SQL and I'm wondering if this is likely to present a new set of challenges in how I configure the Access front end? Are there any dialect differences between T-SQL on Azure v T-SQL on SQL server, or any well known hurdles like having to add "dbSeeChanges"?

I appreciate I'm not providing very much information here and so it's going to be difficult to provide a considered response, but any general rules / general advice for managing this migration would be most welcome.

Edit: I'm not currently using any stored procedures in the back end, it's literally just tables some audit trail triggers.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The T-Sql should be identical, if anything you will have newer features available in Azure SQL than an older locally based one, depending on SQL Server versions used.

Assuming the current SQL Server is local and the Azure server is stuck in the cloud, there will be a performance hit, unless you have very been careful in how much data you move around when opening forms etc.

You will obviously need to change the connection string for linked tables and any stored pass throughs, but other than that it should "Just work" (famous last words).

choaspes

Registered User.
Local time
The T-Sql should be identical, if anything you will have newer features available in Azure SQL than an older locally based one, depending on SQL Server versions used.

Assuming the current SQL Server is local and the Azure server is stuck in the cloud, there will be a performance hit, unless you have very been careful in how much data you move around when opening forms etc.

You will obviously need to change the connection string for linked tables and any stored pass throughs, but other than that it should "Just work" (famous last words).
Thank you Minty, really helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom