String issue, how to remove null values (1 Viewer)

dealwi8me

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:47
Hello,

I have the following Fields that i use in a query:
CompanyName ="Test Company"
Reason1 = "Test1"
Reason2 = null
Reason3="Test3"

I need to build a string for each Company which describes all the reasons. If i build the string as following [Reason1] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & [Reason2] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & [Reason3] i get
"Test1
<empty line>
Test3"

Is it possible to get the string without the empty line?

Thank you in advance.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 06:47
Yes it is possible. just test each field for Null and include the Chr(13) & Chr(10) as necessary

iif(isnull([Reason1]),"",[Reason1] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & iif(isnull([Reason2]),"",[Reason2] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & iif(isnull([Reason3]),"",[Reason3])

dealwi8me

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the quick answer!

The problem is that i have to join a 50 fields of reasons [Reason1 - Reason50] (i used only 3 for the examlpe) and if i use the if function will get complicated.

In an other thread i read that i could replace & with + ([Reason1] + Chr(13) & Chr(10) & [Reason2] + Chr(13) & Chr(10) & [Reason3]) but i get a small rectangle if the first or last field are null.

Any suggestions?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
its hard directly in a query

easier in a function

something like

Code:
dim s as string
dim x as long

s="Reasons"
for x = 1 to 50
  if nz(reason(x),vbnullstring)<>vbnullstring then
    s=s&reason(x)&vbcrlf
  end if
next

dealwi8me

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks!
I managed to create the string but is more than 255 characters and some characters are trancuted.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Is your structure normalised? I have a nasty feeling you've got 50 fields called Reason1 to Reason50. These should be up to 50 records in a related table. This way you can add a criterion in a query to exclude null values and they'll be returned in the order you want anyway. Tables could look like this:

tblCompany
CompanyID PK
CompanyName

tblReason
ReasonID PK
ReasonDescription
CompanyID FK
ReasonValue

dealwi8me

Registered User.
Local time
No it's more complicate than that, i'll try to explain.

I have applications which must agree with a checklist of 50 diffrent points.
If one or more points are not fulfilled then the particular point is marked as pending.

So, i created a query that gets only the description of the missing points, each one seperately.

At second query i want to join the description of all pending point in one paragraph, so i merged the non-null (which are the pending points) in one string. The problem is that the string is more than 255 and i can't put in a report without being trancuted.

I'm sorry if i'm not being clear enough.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Have you considered making that field Memo type rather than text so you can hold more than 255 chars?

Shaunk23

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:47
I got it.. I did have to put Len(String) = 0 then

Once i added those it works fine.

robertbwainwright

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:47
I think another way to solve (but I'm not entirely sure of your problem) would be the nz function: nz(String,"") this would replace the null with an empty string.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom