Table structure help (1 Viewer)

cstanley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:45
Hello all,

I'm in something of a table structure quandary. I have a database that contains a "master" table with unique system numbers and descriptions, and then another table that has requirements that are associated with these systems, and other tables that has documents associated with these requirements. So:

(tables): 1 - 1- many
(records): 1 - many - many

Plenty of the requirements apply to more than one system, but the way I have it set up, I need to create a new record per system for each requirement, which makes lots of records. Likewise, plenty of documents associate with more than one requirement, which makes for the same thing.

It seems to me that there must be an easier way to set this all up, but I am just not sure how. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:45
Create a many-to-many table structure betwen Systems and Requirements.

The way to do this is to have a juntion table. (I'll call it SysR). You can look in the Help file for "Many-to-many relationship" for more info.

Create a one-to-many relationship between Systems and SysR.

Create a one-to-many relationship between Requirements and SysR.

SysR will store the Systems and it's requirements.

Hopefully, I've understood your problem correctly.

Lemme know if you need more help and I'll try. It's be nice to know what you are fields you are storing in each Table (Systems and Requirements)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom