Time for a new Political Debate (1 Viewer)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:24
I can't resist this one any more. In the original post, I must admit I took it to mean blacks. But today reading the sentence out of context, I was wondering why Brian said that. So that makes me wonder if, the statement is racist, or the people preceiving it are racist? Oh, you want an example, OK, but it is not about racism, but how words are perceived.
My wife says (tells) me somthing.
I act according to what I hear.
I am wrong because what I heard is not what she meant.

Case Closed!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 05:24
FoFa said:
I can't resist this one any more. In the original post, I must admit I took it to mean blacks. But today reading the sentence out of context, I was wondering why Brian said that. So that makes me wonder if, the statement is racist, or the people preceiving it are racist? Oh, you want an example, OK, but it is not about racism, but how words are perceived.
My wife says (tells) me somthing.
I act according to what I hear.
I am wrong because what I heard is not what she meant.

Case Closed!

:confused: :confused:

With written communication the onus must be on the writer as no interaction is going to take place, but in this case when it was pointed out to Jsanders what we all took his statement to mean, he attempted no correction or clarification.

Brian

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
With written communication the onus must be on the writer as no interaction is going to take place, but in this case when it was pointed out to Jsanders what we all took his statement to mean, he attempted no correction or clarification.
Yea, I have heard that crap before, but the reality of it is no matter how hard you try, there will always be someone who has a different take on the same words.
And GOD FORBID I tell my wife what she said was wrong, trust me, I know what I am talking about here. And since my wife is always right, then you must be incorrect :p

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
FoFa said:
Yea, I have heard that crap before, but the reality of it is no matter how hard you try, there will always be someone who has a different take on the same words.

BUT WE ALL SEEM TO HAVE TAKEN HIS WORDS THE SAME WAY.

Mind you I have noticed with some posters that we are all out of step but them:rolleyes:

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 00:24
Brianwarnock said:

Brian

Sorry I didn’t get back to this earlier.
It took me several days to recover from being called a racist.
I didn’t understand that you were misunderstanding me.

It’s actually been on my mind this last week or so. Similar to being called a liberal by FoFa.

Neither accusation is correct.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
I think a far more telling point is the one on the French Riots. I only read the first post and that was enough for me. He's been on my ignore list since.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
jsanders said:
Sorry I didn’t get back to this earlier.
It took me several days to recover from being called a racist.
I didn’t understand that you were misunderstanding me.

It’s actually been on my mind this last week or so. Similar to being called a liberal by FoFa.

Neither accusation is correct.

I think that we should consider this closed, misunderstandings happen.

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
reclusivemonkey said:
I think a far more telling point is the one on the French Riots. I only read the first post and that was enough for me. He's been on my ignore list since.

Are you talking about me?

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
FoFa said:
Yea, I have heard that crap before[...]
There you go being rude again. What is up with you lately?

Joe, I've stayed out of this issue so far, but I have to say that I interpreted your comments the same way. Oddly, though, when I saw the first comment that caused a problem I thought you were being sarcastic but your follow-up posts seemed to confirm that you were serious. Chalk it all up to a massive miscommunication, but I thought you might be interested in my perspective.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Brianwarnock said:

Brian
Under normal circumstances the writer usually apologises for the misunderstandings of their text and clarifies it in another way.
One would think this is normal etiquette as most people do it - if only to correct readers (wrong) impressions of them.

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Col said:
Under normal circumstances the writer usually apologises for the misunderstandings of their text and clarifies it in another way.
One would think this is normal etiquette as most people do it - if only to correct readers (wrong) impressions of them.

Col.

What is this?

jsanders said:
This was definitely a communication problem. Every one that knows me believes me to be one of the least racist people they know.

That includes black folks, white folks, and every thing in between.

If you’re going to quote me here is the quote.

Generational ignorance is the biggest enemy of poor Americans.

It knows no race, ethnicity, or culture.

Last edited:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Kraj said:
There you go being rude again. What is up with you lately?
Not rude, man you seem to be a bit touchy lately.
It is crap. What I mean is if a writter says something, and 1 million people understand them, but 150 have 150 different takes on the same words, is that the fault of the writter? Does the writter have to then keep issueing statements until all 150 get it?

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Well this is another fine mess Stanley :D

My original question was tongue in cheek. A response to this

Rich why don’t you think any of the black people that visit this forum ever say anything about this?

J appeared to be saying that he could tell what people looked like from what they wrote. As i have trouble telling if people are male or female i thought it was a bit funny and basically asked him(?) to clarify what was meant. I didn't expect back the response i got, which i can see now could be equally tongue in cheek. Then again i felt there was other issues raised between us about groups within the US that were percieved as a burden on the rest of the country.

So in the best traditions of the forum i let him have it with both barrels -no offence to the anti gun lobby - premature? Possibly, but quite frankly some of his posts really bugged the sh!t out of me. I'm preachy. He's pompous -imho of course ;) :D . No-one's perfect and i enjoy a good debate. I wasn't actually calling him racist. The damnation i felt he'd done was to his arguments about an America that could show Europe how to integrate. The statement could -as has been shown - be taken as racist but i prefered to express it in less flammatory terms i.e. racial sterotype and gross generalization which is something that most of us have been guilty of in here, it just happens we've been talking about cultures rather than skin colour.

So apologies all round. I am a bastard and enjoy a good argument as much as the next person and whilst i honestly read what i read without intentionally trying to mis-interpret it there was a lot that could be mis-interpreted. I do think we are responsible for what we write and cannot expect people to see things that aren't there, likewise we shouldn't deliberately misconstrue things either.

TS

Last edited:

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
FoFa said:
Not rude, man you seem to be a bit touchy lately.
It is crap. What I mean is if a writter says something, and 1 million people understand them, but 150 have 150 different takes on the same words, is that the fault of the writter? Does the writter have to then keep issueing statements until all 150 get it?

Only if he doesn't want the 150 to go away with that impression. If he/she couldn't careless then no i don't think they would.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
FoFa said:
What I mean is if a writter says something, and 1 million people understand them, but 150 have 150 different takes on the same words, is that the fault of the writter? Does the writter have to then keep issueing statements until all 150 get it?
If that is what you believe, then an appropriate response is "I disagree". Referring to someone's opinion as "crap" or "drivel" is rude, plain and simple, and I for one would appreciate if you avoid using such unnecessarily negative language to yourself when other people are trying to communicate in a civil manner.

The Stoat said:
[...]whilst i honestly read what i read without intentionally trying to mis-interpret it there was a lot that could be mis-interpreted. I do think we are responsible for what we write and cannot expect people to see things that aren't there, likewise we shouldn't deliberately misconstrue things either.
Aye, there's the rub! And well said. Something to this effect should be stickied... "Guideliness for not getting your undies in a bunch." Hey, that's a good one for the slang thread... :D

BTW, Stoat, I have it in my mind that you're from New Zeland. Am I being stupid?

Last edited:

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Kraj said:
BTW, Stoat, I have it in my mind that you're from New Zeland. Am I being stupid?

How dare you :mad: :D

No mate merry old England hence my continued homily on the evils of the EU. Unless of course you dumb yanks don't know where New Zealand is :D :D

Didn't you used to live in NY?

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
The Stoat said:
No mate merry old England hence my continued homily on the evils of the EU. Unless of course you dumb yanks don't know where New Zealand is :D :D

Didn't you used to live in NY?
OK...I'm just being stupid. I swear there's a regular poster from New Zealand....hmmm... *goes off to mutter incoherently in a corner*

And if you're seriously asking, no I've been in the Chicago area all my life, but cheuschober is from NY.

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
:D
Kraj said:
OK...I'm just being stupid. I swear there's a regular poster from New Zealand....hmmm... *goes off to mutter incoherently in a corner*

And if you're seriously asking, no I've been in the Chicago area all my life, but cheuschober is from NY.

Lister is from New Zealand. Likes guns and killing wild boar with a knife. - no offence Listy but i always remember that pick of you being humped by a dead pig :D

No i wasn't being serious i just wasn't sure what parallel i could use. :eek:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Kraj said:
Referring to someone's opinion as "crap" or "drivel" is rude, plain and simple
True, but I was not refering to their opinion, but the contents of the words, which are two different things in this case.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
The Stoat said:
Lister is from New Zealand.
Aha! OK, I feel better now...

FoFa said:
True, but I was not refering to their opinion, but the contents of the words, which are two different things in this case.
So you're saying that your comments are on the quality of the writing and not the content?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom