unable to delete, cut, paste Access objects in Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

Bilbo_Baggins_Esq

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:06
I'm working wtih a .ACCDB in Access 2010 x64 running on Windows 7 x64

This DB was originally an Access 2000 format whose permissions were controlled by an old MDW.
It contained several links to tables in two other DBs also of Access 2000 format and whose permissions were also controlled by the MDW.

I had admin permission to all the DBs and exported all objects from all DBs to seperate MDBs and confirmed I could open all three without restriction from the MDW.

I then converted all three to ACCDB format and have been working fine with them.

However, I have just now discovered that I cannot delete, cut, or paste any of the objects in the main database.
However, I can delete, cut, and paste any and all objects in the two linked databases when I open them directly.

To be clear, in the main database, my inability to cut, delete, or paste objects is NOT limited to the linked tables.
I cannot even delete any queries I have created AFTER the conversion to ACCDB format.
This limitation applies to all objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules), linked or not, in the main database only.

I have gone back to the original MDB running in Access 2007 on Windows XP (x86) and have confirmed I AM able to delete, cut and paste any and all objects.
However, I also checked the original x86 ACCDB running in Access 2010 on Windows 7 x86 and I am NOT able to delete, cut or paste any objects.

Additionally, I AM able to edit all the objects as much as I care to and in any way I wish.
This limitation apparently only applies to what I can do within the navigation pane.

I have confirmed my windows user account has all the necessary file level permissions.
I have poked around in the Access Options with no help.
I have reduced the setting for ‘Default Open Mode’ to ‘Exclusive’ from ‘Shared’.

Still no joy.

Any help or insights will, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Bilbo_Baggins_Esq

Registered User.
Local time
To be more clear, I do not know if this problem is something that just started, or existed from the first export to clean MDBs or conversion to ACCDBs.

I had no occasion to delete anyhting until now, so this was not tested at those earlier points in time.

Bilbo_Baggins_Esq

Registered User.
Local time
Update:

This must be something unique to this main database running on Access 2010.

I copied the original x86 ACCDB back to the original Windows XP platform with Access 2007.
When I open it, I have full ability to delete, cut, and paste.

However, when I open that SAME DB in Access 2010 x86 on Windows 7, I cannot.

PLEASE HELP!

Bilbo_Baggins_Esq

Registered User.
Local time
well, nothing a sledge hammer can't fix.

I imported all of the objects in the main DB to a new and clean ACCDB and so far, I am able to delete, cut, and paste objects.

However, I would still like to know what went wrong or what was changed with the original ACCDB.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

bhavdahl

Registered User.
Local time
I'm having the same problem. It's an database in .mdb format, 2002-2003. I haven't converted existing databases to .accdb, just do it with new ones. But it's just one of those so far I'm having this problem with. The backend is SQL Server, is the only linked objects in it. There was never an .mdw file for it. There are others I've been working in 2010 with that don't have this problem, just this one so far. Just FYI I guess since there's been no solution posted for this problem. I assume I'm going to have to export all the objects to a new database file.

Update: Did have to export all objects to a new file and copy, cut, paste and delete work ok now.

Last edited:

roelandkim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:06
We're having the same exact problem, has anyone else had a success in getting around this problem other than importing into a new database. We tried that, but some of the VB code doesn't seem to make it, and thing like our tree control on our main menu gets hosed.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:06
I don't believe the 64-bit version of Access will support any Active X controls at all unless you can find some that have been converted to 64-bit themselves.

If you don't have to install the 64-bit version of Office, save yourself the hastle and avoid it. You will loose all your add-ins and have compatability issues with Access databases between 32-bit and 64-bit versions not to mention the code changes that are required if you have used any API's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom