Update Table with Null values (1 Viewer)

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Today, 06:16
How would I update a table with values from another unrelated table? I've been trying to use queries to update a table, but i get like 180,000 records to update, but really only 500.

I have two Supplier tables, from separate databases that I would like to combine. Both databases have records related to the Supplier tables, but the Supplier names have different IDs, so a standard append won't work. So I decided to create another unique ID, that I could identify each Supplier and keep them tied to their related records.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Peter Reid

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:16
So I decided to create another unique ID, that I could identify each Supplier and keep them tied to their related records.

If you've done this and your update query includes this 'relation', the update should work

Can you post the SQL for the update query?

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Well, I left out the part that the random ID's are stored in a separate table. So, there is no relation between the Supplier table and the random table.

Supplier Table
ID
Company
RandomString - is currently null

Random Table
ID
RandomString

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
Make sure that new unique ID is indexed in each table.

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
I used a recordset instead. Much easier than trying to figure out how to relate two totally unrelated tables. Now, I can create random strings, at a custom length, for unique IDs. I do not use caps because Access does not differentiate between lower and upper case, natively.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom