Update to Linked Table Path, Causing Issues (1 Viewer)

JessicaGomo

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:40
The database in question is a split database with about 75 users that is used for time reporting. The back end is stored on a network drive and each user has a copy of the front end file on their desktop. Everything has been going well for 3+ months.

The path for the linked tables was intially setup through the mapped drive path (L:Information\Time Reporting, etc.). There has been some issues lately with drives becoming unmapped upon PC restart (causing a run time error when trying to open it, until the drive is correctly mapped). In an effort to ease this headache, I re linked the tables using the full path, not the mapped path.

Upon opening, the initial home form opens fine, but when attempting to open the main form (timesheet form) the screen goes black and after about a minute, the timesheet appears....but, behind the home form. If I close the timesheet form and re-open, then everything works fine..until the database is opened again. I switched the linked tables back to the drive mapping, but the problems are still there.

1. Anyone know what caused these issues?
2. Anyone know how to correct these issues?
3. Is there a time savings in using the mapped drive path vs. full path for linked tables?

I appreciate in insight or thoughts on how to address this issue!!

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 04:40
I switched the linked tables back to the drive mapping, but the problems are still there.

How? Did you go back to your virgin backup copy? Or did you just make a new change in your most current version?

I ask because I do not quite see the relation between mapped vs. UNC-paths and the form display, and suspect some other changes took place too.

If you have an untried backup then try that first. If you do not have a backup then have one in the future, although it doesn't help you now.

JessicaGomo

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:40
Using the linked table manager, I changed the path of all linked tables. I made the changes in my most current version, this was the only change made in that copy.

I do have the prior version saved off as a backup, I will try going back to that. Should I try updating the links again? Has anyone had experience doing this after database was in use?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom