xml & Access (1 Viewer)

juliebme

Local time
Today, 08:59
I am really new to xml. I have been asked if I could do this...

Setup a program that would take a xml file & import it into Access. They would give me all the specs.

And Vice versa... Can I take the data I have in Access & export it into a xml string.

Help me out.... With the specifications given to me, is this an easy thing to do? Can some send me a sample xml file?

Thanks.

SteveA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:59
Access 97 and Access 2000 do not naturally support exporting or importing of XML files (I'm not sure about the morer recent versions). However, given that XML files are simply heirachical, well formed text files, it is not that hard to write a parser to do this for you.

An excellent product that supports the W3C standards for XML is MSXML 4.0. I would recommend version 4 over 3 as it has support for the latest XML Schema specifications, XSLT specifications and XPath specifications as defined by the W3C (all core XML applications).

MSXML 4.0 also supports both DOM and SAX based traversal/creation of XML files. MSXML 4.0 is available for free from Microsofts MSDN site.

If you want further info, please let me know.

HTH
SteveA

juliebme

Local time
Today, 08:59
You are wonderful!!!!!!.... I have posted this on about every newsgroup / forum & have either received no response or a response saying it is not possible. Even called Microsoft & they said it could only be done with Access 2002 (XP). With this project, I am required to use 2000.

You said that is not difficult to write a parser to do this. Could you give me some assistance of where to start? The XML string will be a flat - one table (45-50 fields) and any number of records. The table will be the same every time. The agency I am working with is suppose to send me the sample in a few days.

Why didn't Microsoft tell me that MSXML 4.0 is available for free from Microsofts MSDN site!! However, I'm not sure if this will help me. The conversion has to happen without the knowledge of the end user. When the user selects to import their data, Access must convert & import this data automatically. The other step I must attempt is to export this same data in XML format. Is this possible?

SteveA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:59
MSXML 4.0 comes with the Microsoft XML 4.0 Parser SDK which is quite comprehensive in definitions of XML, XML Schemas, the DOM and SAX. It also provides some sample code which can be easily modified. If you're comfort level in VB is relatively high, you shouldn't have a problem.

The one main thing with MSXML 4.0 (as with any external DLL you use in Accesss) is that it will need to be registered on every machine that uses your database.

If you require a more general introduction to the XML suite of applications (XML, XML Schemas, DTD's, XPath, XMLDOM, SAX), I can't go past the http://www.w3schools.com site. It has many excellent introductory tutorials to get you started.

Please let me know if you need any further info.

SteveA

[This message has been edited by SteveA (edited 02-04-2002).]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom