Corrupted Database (1 Viewer)

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
I am unable to open an .mdb file without getting this message:-

"The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'MSysDb'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name in the path name correctly".

I believe the computer was shut down while the database was still open, which may have caused the corruption. It's in Access 2007. The byte size implies the data is there. We made backup copies and have attempted to open them on several computers and I also downloaded and tried JetComp to no avail. I also tried creating a new bland database and attempted to "compact and repair" the database, to no avail. I tried importing the files, but got the same message. I don't know what else to do.

Is there any way of recovering this data?

Thanks
Laura

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 06:03
Just one thought; you might try creating a link to the tables in the corrupt database and if you can establish the link, then you could create some make table queries to bring the data into local tables.

This may now work but it is worth a try.

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
I even tried that too, and got the same message. The database just won't open. Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if there is a way of recovering the data.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
This is a prime reason for splitting the mdb FE-BE. The front end can be easily recovered/rebuilt but data if far more critical.

I guess this copy was on a server and more than one person used it. Is this correct?

Could you not try a restore from the server backups to the earliest point before the crash?

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
I have a copy of the database as at 22nd December 2010, when I last did an amendment for my client, (I always keep a copy), so am able to rebuild the forms, queries and reports as none of those would have been modified since then.

I believe that the computer was shut down two days ago while the database was open. It's on a stand alone computer, so would have been opened by one user only. The only backup was to a memory stick and the backup failed for reasons I do not understand, so it's unusable.

It's one of those times when the lessons about ensuring constant backups and checking them and keeping them safe are to be learned the hard way.

Thanks for your input and help.
Laura

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
I know it's a bit late but if the same thing happened with a split database then only the front end would have been affected. Like you say a hard lesson to learn and I hope other readers of this thread take heed.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
there are 2 issues here

1 - split databases - it separates the program functionality from the data - and therefore makes it easier to modify the functionality, anyway - as you just change the front end. Presumably at the moment you have a complex procedure to copy tables over - or maybe you develop using the live database and live data - very risky.

even if there is only 1 user, no harm is done by splitting the dbs

2 - backup the data. Assuming you have a copy of the non-volatile front end, then it is always easy to replace a corrupt front end. Regular backups of the backend reduce the potential for loss in the event of a corruption. Just a windows copy of the mdb is sufficient. you don't need anything fancy.
Tell your clients to back up the data.

it doesn't have to be a corruption either - you could easily lose data with a failed hard disk drive

Now - are you 100% sure you cannot create a new database, and then import tables from the corrupted database.

If you are desperate to recover the data try the main site here - they may do something, or try Wayne Philips at everythingaccess.com - they may be able to help.

Last edited:

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Dave, I'm also learning how important it is to split the database from this experience. I didn't develop this database, it was done by someone else who is no longer available. I just update it on a very small scale and it's not very big. There is no complex procedure for copying tables over - it's all in one .mdb file and the entire file is meant to be backed up.

I'm as sure as I can be that I cannot import the tables or anything from the corrupted file. I tried compact & repair too, from a clean, new .mdb file - no matter what I do I get the same message quoted in my first post.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Just a note to say thanks for all the offers of help and that I'm sorry I haven't been back here to let you all know, but my friend who's database it is is trying to find someone himself, so I have to wait and see if they succeed or not. Hopefully I will know in a few days.
Laura

annieee

Local time
Today, 04:03
Did these software work for you? I have read somewhere that these products can actually repair the database in one go.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Did these software work for you? I have read somewhere that these products can actually repair the database in one go.

Hmm, your post sounds a bit fishy because there are no products mentioned anywhere in this thread. There are a couple of COMPANIES mentioned but no mention of any products whatsoever.

annieee

Local time
Hey Boblarson,

I know you have mentioned the name of companies, but I believe they too use some software or low-level data reading techniques to extract your data.

Thanks,
Annieee

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
My friends with the database decided to re-enter all the data from the past couple of months, since their last working backup. I don't think they were able to recover the data. I want to thank everyone for all the help and suggestions.
Laura

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Hopefully now they know they should make a backup at least every day (if data is entered every day) or at least once a week. That way if anything like this happens again they won't have too much to enter to restore it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom