Home Improvement. (1 Viewer)

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
Today, 15:28
ColinEssex said:
Do all doors have this storm door thingy? and do the flies / bug not come in the open windows in summer? Why not just get air-con in the house, its much easier than all this door business you have.

Col

Here in the North East USA the only time that I use air conditioning is for 2-3 weeks or so in the hottest part of the summer. The rest of the summer it's nice to have open windows with screens to allow the fresh air to come in the house. A screen door allows that much more fresh air into the house.

In the winter the storm door does not lend much insulating value, but it does block the wind from hitting the main door. Older homes also have removable 'storm windows' to supplement their single pane main windows. These are framed glass that help block the wind from hitting the main windows. Newer homes though have thermo pane windows (insulated glass) and generally do not need the 'storm window' but do come with removable screens.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 20:28
lmnop7854 said:
No - not sure if this is a linguistic difference in our cultures, but a furnace on my side of the pond is the device that burns any kind of energy medium - coal, gas, wood, water, whatever.

coal, gas, wood, water, whatever. :eek: :eek:

That's cracked the fossil fuel problem. Can you get this type in the UK. If not how about a name so that I can start importing them, Got to be a market with the ampunt of rain we have

Len

:D :D :D :D

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
Len Boorman said:
coal, gas, wood, water, whatever. :eek: :eek:

That's cracked the fossil fuel problem. Can you get this type in the UK. If not how about a name so that I can start importing them, Got to be a market with the ampunt of rain we have

Len

:D :D :D :D

Water? This is news to me.... must be a top secret government discovery.... :D

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Len Boorman said:
coal, gas, wood, water, whatever.

Ok, maybe I was a little off on the water thing. Sounds like a good idea though. Maybe I've hit upon something here.

Lisa

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Spoke to local fire brigade about this and they said it had been banned cos it was a Fire Hazard
:D :D :D

L

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:28
lmnop7854 said:
Looking into getting wall-to-wall carpeting - I HATE hard wood floors.
Interesting.
We took out all the carpeting in our house. Replaced with a combination of Tile and laminate. Did help the allergies some.

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
FoFa said:
Interesting.
We took out all the carpeting in our house. Replaced with a combination of Tile and laminate. Did help the allergies some.

Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me about carpet - I grew up in homes with wall-to-wall carpeting, and I don't have any allergies. So it never really occurred tome that this would be a problem. It's only a question of maintenance to me.

Lisa

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I like the look of hard wood floors but I prefer carpet myself. Hard woods are, well... hard. As many times as I've seen Emily take a nose dive into the carpet I'm glad she has something soft to cushion her fall. :D Besides, I like walking around the house barefoot and laying on the floor sometimes, and it's just not the same with hardwoods, even if you have an area rug. And, it seems to me like you would end up with the same dust mites in an area rug as you would with carpet, so why not just have carpet? :confused: :D It's easy to run the vacuum over as well. And I don't let Emily take anything except water to drink in there, and it's in a no-spill cup. If she has juice or something else she is in the kitchen or in her high chair, so I don't have to worry about stains so much either. My personal opinion.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
I like the look of hard wood floors but I prefer carpet myself. Hard woods are, well... hard. As many times as I've seen Emily take a nose dive into the carpet I'm glad she has something soft to cushion her fall. :D
On the other hand, if she nosed dived a time or two on something hard, maybe she would learn to walk! :eek:

Just teasing :eek:

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
<<Mental Note>> FoFa is a guy. FoFa is a GUY!

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
What? No one made a crack about MrsGorilla preferring carpet? Good thing I'm back... :D

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
FoFa said:
On the other hand, if she nosed dived a time or two on something hard, maybe she would learn to walk! :eek:

:D She walks fine (and runs), but when she's playing and tries to run away from you, sometimes she gets her feet tangled up. She's also quite a climber, which worries me. She gets pretty high up on stuff sometimes (like her high chair) and that would be a long way for her to fall, which of course she has no concept of. :rolleyes: Especially if she were falling onto a hard surface rather than a padded surface.

Kraj said:
What? No one made a crack about MrsGorilla preferring carpet? Good thing I'm back... :D

:D Yeah, so where have you been hiding?

By the way, here are a few pics of the house we are getting ready to sell.
Before1
Before2
After1
After2

The before pictures were taken after the painters did the power wash so it didn't really look that bad before. Well, except for the color which was horrendous. It makes you wonder what people are thinking sometimes. We have had our windows put in since the after pictures were taken, so the windows look better now than they did in these pics. Too bad we're fixing it up for someone else, but I guess that's how it works. :(

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Besides, I like walking around the house barefoot and laying on the floor sometimes, and it's just not the same with hardwoods, even if you have an area rug.
;)

Col

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
By the way, here are a few pics of the house we are getting ready to sell. Well, except for the color which was horrendous. It makes you wonder what people are thinking sometimes.
It just amazes me how nice we get our houses looking just to sell. So how come (and I am as guilty as anybody) we don't do that while we live in them?

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
The house looks excellent! You do good work.

MrsGorilla said:
:D Yeah, so where have you been hiding?
We took Brad's parents on a cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary. I'm pondering posting the emails & pictures so you all can be jealous ;)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
FoFa said:
It just amazes me how nice we get our houses looking just to sell. So how come (and I am as guilty as anybody) we don't do that while we live in them?

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. :rolleyes: Of course, we couldn't afford to for a long time because one or the other of us has been unemployed about half the time we've lived there, due to layoffs, education, etc. For us, it really wasn't an option financially before, and now that it is we just need more space anyway. Oh, well.

Kraj said:
We took Brad's parents on a cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary. I'm pondering posting the emails & pictures so you all can be jealous ;)

Cool. A cruise to where? My mother-in-law just went on an Alaskan cruise that looked very awesome. I would love to do that.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Cool. A cruise to where? My mother-in-law just went on an Alaskan cruise that looked very awesome. I would love to do that.
It was to several islands in the Caribbean. I've heard rave reviews about Alaskan cruises, though. I'm sure she had a wonderful time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom