Labels on form keep gettng re-written (1 Viewer)

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:28
I have a very odd thing happening and hope someone can help. I am using a tab control on a form with several tabs. I have many labels and text boxes on the first tab.

While I was busy creating and testing my form, I noticed that when I scrolled from one record to another, one or two of the labels in front of text boxes seem to get darker and darker each time I moved on to a new record, as if they are being re-written and overwriting themselves. This is not happening with all of the labels, just some. I have no idea why or how to stop it.

Could this just be a fluke with my Access 2002 / Windows 7?

Thanks,
Laurad

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Here are some workarounds:

Change the Font Type to say Courier (for example)

OR

Set the Backstyle property of the labels to NORMAL

OR

Disassociate the labels from the controls

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the suggestions. I had disassociated (disconnected) all the lables from the text boxes, is that what you meant? Even if I add a new single label it gets blacker and blacker. On the main tab it was happening with some labels, but not all. Very mysterious.

I tried changing from the default Tahoma to Courier and sure enough, it didn't over-write itself. I changed it back to Tahoma and it did.

I changed the background to "Normal" and it seems to cure the problem also.

Why is it happening? Why does it happen to some labels and not all? Do I have some kid of bug in my Access installation?

Thanks for the help.
Laurad

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm not certain what the cause is but I feel it has something to do with Clear Type fonts. Maybe seeing your db might clear up some thoughts.

Another workaround too is to apply a Layout (i.e. Access 2007 and above) to your controls and later Remove it. That will cure the problem too.

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, not sure what a "layout" is as I'm still on 2002. One day soon I'll upgrade.. thanks for advice.
Laura

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
It's an Access 2007 / 2010 feature.

I just thought of another one, if you drop new controls onto the form and set the control source (as you would normally do) it should be ok.

Glad we could help!

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Several months later and I'm still fighting with the labels. I can't seem to resolve it or work out why it happens to some labels on my tabbed control and not to all of them.

As I mentioned previously, I put a label on my tabbed control and each time I scroll to a new record, some of the labels seem to overwrite themselves and become darker and darker. Others don't. Sometimes I delete the label and re do it and it stops happening. No solution is consistent.

The default font is Tahoma 8 and I have tried changing it to Courier and it doesn't happen, but when I change it back to Tahoma it happens again. I tried making the background normal and it doesn't happen, then when I go back to transparent it happens again.

It seems to happen to labels that are not connected to a text box. If I disassociate the label from the text box, then it blackens.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
The workarounds already mentioned that you've tried (and works) are the only ways around it. Nothing more can be done.

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, but I wish I understood why it's happening. I'm not sure if it's only on my computer, I will need to check at the office of the client tomorrow. I noticed another thing as I'm working - if the labels are surrounded by a rectangle, then the blackening happens to the disassciated labels, but not to the ones associated with a text box. The labels outside the rectangle seem all right. Could it be something to do with the rectangle?

I just removed a rectangle and all the labels are still blackening.. it's maddening. Some labels blacken and some don't. If I take the label out of the rectangle, it doesn't blacken.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
It's just the way it is. It's a quirk of Access that the guys at Microsoft might be able to explain. But like I mentioned in post #4, it may be a Clear Type Fonts issue, something that was introduced in 2007.

I will need to see your db.

Laurad

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks.. it's very quirky and annoying and I wish I could find a better solution. I like the Tahoma font and can't find anything similar. I will find out what's happening on a different computer, it might just be my own one causing this annoying problem.
Thanks for your help.
Laura

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom