Text template "certificate". (1 Viewer)

moi

Local time
Tomorrow, 03:52
Hi all,

Is it possible to make a template "certificate" and fill the blanks, like name and other details of a buyer when i print the template certificate?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thank you.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 12:52
Word templates are a standard feature. Search for "Word template".

They can be used with Merge from Access to populate the variable elements.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi all,

Is it possible to make a template "certificate" and fill the blanks, like name and other details of a buyer when i print the template certificate?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thank you.
Yes, just bind your report to your table and open it with a filter.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:52
GPGeorge pointed you in the right direction, but if you wanted to look up by the correct phrase, it is MAIL MERGE. Here are a couple of links that come from two different directions.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
GPGeorge pointed you in the right direction, but if you wanted to look up by the correct phrase, it is MAIL MERGE. Here are a couple of links that come from two different directions.

Thanks for clarifying it's Mail Merge, not just merge. I guess the original intent would have been merging information into letters that could be mailed, although I tend to think of it as merging data into any boilerplate template. One of my clients created equipment certificates for their testing protocols that were converted to pdfs and uploaded to a website. No mailing -- or emailing -- involved. But, yes, the proper term is Mail Merge.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:52
Of course. The simplest solution is a report. MailMerge requires that you create a word document with bookmarks. Not terribly hard but more complex than a report.

Also, Staples has fancy paper that you can print your certificates on so they look professional without burning up an ink cartridge as you print each one.

Reactions: moi

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Of course. The simplest solution is a report. MailMerge requires that you create a word document with bookmarks. Not terribly hard but more complex than a report.

Also, Staples has fancy paper that you can print your certificates on so they look professional without burning up an ink cartridge as you print each one.
I like the Word option because I think you can do fancier formatting, but basic reports, invoices, certificates without fancy scrollwork and so on are great in Access.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:52

Absolutely true, but... Access reports don't look as good as Word documents unless you have special paper that contains some of the fancy borders, headers, or watermarks. See also my other threads from a couple of years ago about generating a Word report from scratch. In my genealogy database, I have the ability to generate what I call the "Family Directory" - in essence, a linear alphabetized listing of every person named in a particular set of "Family Tree" diagrams that I generate. The trees and directory are part of an overall product that I generate in not less than three parts - but as many parts as there were marriages of a person that is the "anchor" (i.e. focal point) of the family tree. Anyway, it is possible to generate an Access report for the directory, but the Word features that can be activated through the Word App object make it SO much nicer even without fancy borders.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:52
I've created certificates as Access reports. They look fine. You just need to find the right graphics to place on them if you don't want to buy nice parchment paper. The better paper is ALWAYS the best solution. It looks great and feels great. Word can't do that. Word alone is absolutely inferior to the nice paper. And if you're going with the nice paper, you might also go with the easy report solution.

moi

Local time
Tomorrow, 03:52

Thank you manage to get work on "mailmerge".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom