Wrapping long graph across pages (1 Viewer)

cricketbird

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
I have a report that generates a graph that is so long that it flows across several paper pages. This isn't a problem, except that when printing/print previewing, page 1 just shows the report header, but is otherwise blank, and then the graph starts on page 2.

I've tried:
  • Putting the graph object in the header
  • Putting the header objects in the Details section
  • Autoheight of header/details to both yes and no
  • The detail section is set to no for force new page, keep together, and new column (but I tried yes too, just in case)
Any other suggestions?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:14
Why is the chart that large? AFAIK, charts have a fixed size, don't shrink and grow.

I cannot replicate issue.

Could you provide db for analysis.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
I forget exactly when the "new" Chart library took over, but the chart is an object to be inserted. I don't recall the differences between the old and new chart objects, but I recall that the transition was a bit rocky because of the greater independence of the chart, which is now treated more like an application object than it used to be. I.e. more independent of what is calling it.

That independence makes me believe that the properties you are changing (for the report section) have nothing to do with the chart. I.e. it isn't the report that is detecting a page issue, it is the chart object being managed by the new chart app. Having said that, I am not at all sure where you would find those specific properties since I have not played with that particular feature programmatically.

This link details the Chart object. It may give you some ideas as to how to navigate your way through the relevant methods and properties.

LarryE

Local time
Today, 12:14
I have a report that generates a graph that is so long that it flows across several paper pages. This isn't a problem, except that when printing/print previewing, page 1 just shows the report header, but is otherwise blank, and then the graph starts on page 2.

I've tried:
  • Putting the graph object in the header
  • Putting the header objects in the Details section
  • Autoheight of header/details to both yes and no
  • The detail section is set to no for force new page, keep together, and new column (but I tried yes too, just in case)
Any other suggestions?
Check your Header section to see if it's set to Yes to force new page. If it is, then set it to No

cricketbird

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
Why is the chart that large? AFAIK, charts have a fixed size, don't shrink and grow.

I cannot replicate issue.

Could you provide db for analysis.
Originally it was showing status of over 100 locations. I just changed it to group by higher level division so there are fewer things to show and it can fit on one page :(
I forget exactly when the "new" Chart library took over, but the chart is an object to be inserted. I don't recall the differences between the old and new chart objects, but I recall that the transition was a bit rocky because of the greater independence of the chart, which is now treated more like an application object than it used to be. I.e. more independent of what is calling it.

That independence makes me believe that the properties you are changing (for the report section) have nothing to do with the chart. I.e. it isn't the report that is detecting a page issue, it is the chart object being managed by the new chart app. Having said that, I am not at all sure where you would find those specific properties since I have not played with that particular feature programmatically.

This link details the Chart object. It may give you some ideas as to how to navigate your way through the relevant methods and properties.

After fiddling more with the ChartObject and every other setting I can find, I have given up.

I re-did the report to report out at the next higher level of data hierarchy to reduce the number of lines to fit on one page. It will do for our purposes or we may export to a different system. Thanks everyone for your help.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:14
I forgot about ModernCharts. I am in Access 2010 and can use only classic MSGraph. The oversized graph started on same page as header and broke to continue on second page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom