Do I die before I get old? (2 Viewers)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 20:27
As The Who said in their song - "I hope I die before I get old".

Now, I'm not getting any younger, I get my state pension in 18 months time. I've had one heart attack and have a bit of arthritis setting in, as a result I will have to give up drumming in my rock band.

I don't want to be a gibbering incapacitated wreck relying on others to feed me etc. and causing my family aggro and stress for years. So I decided ages ago to die while I still was capable of doing it. I know how to do it, I have it all planned.

The problem is, when to do it. At what age is old?

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
At what age is old? Is surely the wrong question.

Old is a state of mind , true it is influenced by many factors not least our physical health, but also our lifestyle. Lonely people probably feel older than those with many contacts with others. Interests also affect the outlook, surely your interest in music can continue after you stop playing?

I think that the greatest gift is to be needed, and forgive me if I am accidentally insensitive/intrusive but doesn't your wife, is it Mary?, need you?

Like you I do not want to become a burden to my family, a gibbering wreck as you put it. Is this thread in any way prompted by the case going through the courts at the moment where a guy totally sound in mind but also totally incapable of doing anything for himself but blink is asking that he can ask a doctor to kill him without the doctor being charged with murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17347054

Brian

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hi Bri, firstly, I apologise if this post seems insensitive to you, it was in no way meant to be, it was just something I was thinking about yesterday.

Yes, music is still and will be part of my life. However, we (I) have seen all I need to see in the world, we have been to dozens of countries over the years and have seen things that no longer exist thanks to wars.

We have plenty of money so no worries there, nice house and garden and no debts.

Yes, Mary is a worry, I'm not sure how to play that. Yes I am a carer at the moment, but me being here is stopping her from getting many benefits and help that is available. Mary expects to die of broncho-pneumonia which is the common death of MS sufferers probobly within the next five to ten years.

We have no children to help, and my sisters are much older than me 180 miles away.

At the moment I feel old!

Col

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Col,

Exactly how was you going to commit the dead, I'm not being morbid just interested in what planning your own death would consist of?

Last edited:

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 15:27
However, we (I) have seen all I need to see in the world, we have been to dozens of countries over the years and have seen things that no longer exist thanks to wars.

I think this is a pretty good answer. I've always thought that once you've done everything you've ever wanted to do, seen everything you wanted to see, and gone everywhere you've wanted to go would be a good time to kick the bucket.

Most people, however, have things on their 'list' that never really get finished, so they continue living until nature takes its course.

As an example, I've never done any kind of illegal drugs in my life. If I turned 80 and thought I was ready to kick the bucket, I'd probably want to try some drugs since I had nothing left to lose anyhow.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 15:27
...as a result I will have to give up drumming in my rock band.

That would be a shame. :(

I still need to learn. I have my drum kit, but I'm afraid my responsibilities seem to take too much of my time.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col,

Exactly how was you going to commit the dead, I'm not being morbid just interested in what planning your own death would consist of?

Strangely, I researched an option only last week. I took a trip down to Eastbourne and had a look at Beachy Head cliffs. An excellent place and a certain death to when you hit the bottom, snag is I don't fancy the drop down unless I was drunk.

My preferred choice is a blind curve on the main London rail line near Chelmsford. I've stood there about 6ft from the train going past about 90mph. I know you'll say "what about the driver" etc etc but that's a hazard in their job.

Adam, I don't have a list. I did drugs in the 60's, didn't like it and certainly don't fancy todays drugs. But the whole point is not to let nature take it's course. . . .I don't want to be a senile vegetable.

I suppose I'm just tired of everything these days - war, bad economy, bad news everywhere, lovely people dying through illness when murderers are in perfect health and should be suffering, pollution, depression, anger. . . .

Another thing I thought about was flying to New York and then walking in Central Park after dark in order to get shot, but I decided that there was a possibility I would only be seriously wounded so that wouldn't help. Mind you, if I didn't have medical cover then the hospital wouldn't treat me so I would die like that perhaps.

Col

Last edited:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 12:27
You posted all of this suicide crap before to get attention, perhaps you need to seek some mental health professionals intervention.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You posted all of this suicide crap before to get attention, perhaps you need to seek some mental health professionals intervention.

Ah, you're upset because I haven't done it yet.

There are some on these forums that would like to see me dead, one or two are even moderators.

You are entitled to your opinion that if someone says they will do something, and if they don't, then they may need help of mental health professionals.
That seems narrow-minded to me but you are based near the USA so I suppose it is expected.

Col

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:27
See how close you can get to death and then try comming back.

It is a very interesting journey.

Trouble is there is lots of pain involved, but you do get to try some real good drugs.

Shame about the memory though.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Au contraire, I would not wish the fatal demise of anyone so there is no reason for your narcissistic reaction. Perhaps you need to read what someone writes rather then read into what someone puts down in text.

It is too bad that you have an antiquated view of mental health care would make you a pariah and to seek help would be a negative count against you rather then a positive step towards health.

Ah, you're upset because I haven't done it yet.

There are some on these forums that would like to see me dead, one or two are even moderators.

You are entitled to your opinion that if someone says they will do something, and if they don't, then they may need help of mental health professionals.
That seems narrow-minded to me but you are based near the USA so I suppose it is expected.

Col

RainLover

Local time
Death is a reality you have to bear it. Some died in early ages and some ppl die in late ages. No one in this world know when would some1 die. Thanks to Almighty that you are still alive. Pray to Almights for all the sins(small or big) that you have committed and believe me Almighty forgives. There is a life after death, prepare yourself for that!
When I was young my Father who was a Minister told me to stay away from, shall I say, naughty girls because God would have nothing to do with them and he would not save them. They were doomed for hell.
I will have nothing to do with a God that does not save all girls.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
When I was young my Father who was a Minister told me to stay away from, shall I say, naughty girls because God would have nothing to do with them and he would not save them. They were doomed for hell.

The feeling is mutual apparently. So thats OK .

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time

This minister was very misled, God loves all people and wants all to follow Him. It matters not what they have done in the past, just what they do in the future.

RainLover

Local time
This minister was very misled, God loves all people and wants all to follow Him. It matters not what they have done in the past, just what they do in the future.

So are you saying God save Naughty Girls as well as Good Girls.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
God will save everyone if they choose to follow Him and make Him Lord of their lives. Past sins are forgotten.

RainLover

Local time
Well then could you get him to save a Naughty Red Head for me.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
If she chooses to be saved, she wouldn't be a naughty red head anymore. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom