programming-is-difficult-thats-why-you-should-learn-it (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:05
I hope my videos make it a tad easier for you!

Re:- programming-is-difficult
And don't I know it! I'm trying to learn Python, being a beginner again is very good for the attitude I adopt when answering questions here!

programming-is-difficult-thats-why-you-should-learn-it

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:05
Actually, programming is easy. It is designing the algorithm to be implemented in your program that usually eats your socks for you. I've spent many a frustrating day trying to find the in-road that lets me attack a problem.

Like the old Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd cartoon said, "Making Hassenpfeffer is easy - but first you have to catch the rabbit!"

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:05
Lots of times I have run into limitations of the particular language I am using, thus having to be very creative (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>> designing the algorithm to be implemented in your program that usually eats your socks for you

Yes I know what you mean. I recently answered and OP's question. "Repeat Subform last field entry x amount of times using command button"...

The OP wanted to add 5 copies of a Row in a subform. I automatically did it my preferred method. Standing back and looking at the problem the next day, I realised it might be something I could code in a generic way, meaning that it would work for any subform.

Looking at my original solution, I realised it would be difficult to make it generic. I thought, maybe there's a simpler way. I usually find SQL statements are quite simple from the point of view of making them generic. They are basic text elements which can be taken apart and recombined easily within a VBA function. I also have available previously written code for manipulating SQL statements.

I did some research and found that the SQL "statement insert into select" would probably be ideal. see HERE:- "INSERT INTO SELECT"

I provided a simplified answer to the question using this method, and at the same time gave myself a good basis for making a generic solution.

It's all done and dusted! (The generic solution) Works lovely. Really satisfying process --- chuffed with myself!

I intend making the generic solution "AddSubformRecords_1a.accdb" available via the freemium business model, once I figure out how to setup and use WordPress for selling digital products. I used to use Payloadz but they started charging around $30 a month, and I wasn't selling enough stuff to justify that sort of fee.

Last edited:

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I could do with understanding the concepts of object orientation better.
I could do with being able to better understand utility libraries and how to keep them as external files.
I should probably be better and at implemeting users authentication.

And always better to understand the subtleties of the general VB function library.

I struggle to learn until I have a problem to solve I then become able to solve it but inevitably I am unsure at the beginning. I have recently been automatically generating SQL and manipulating the query object and both automatically generating SQL and moving SQL in and out of tables this is extremely powerful for system migrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom