Horizontal scrolling (1 Viewer)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:28
I've have a datasheet view subform bound to a query. I see all the fields by scroll right, but at the end there's a whole lot of white space.
As if it's scrolling to far to nowhere.
Is there any way to limit the view to just where there's data ?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:28
There is not.
Could try Continuous View and make it look like Datasheet.
I will try to size a form so that all fields are viewable and horizontal scroll bar is not needed. But with Datasheet users can resize columns and then scroll will likely be activated.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks June, another mystery solved. A pity there's not as it sort of spoils it.
I need the scrollbar as too many columns to fit. Have never used continuous forms. Is it easy to change ?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, what do you mean by 'easy'? Change the Default View property then start rearranging stuff. For very wide records I will arrange controls onto multiple lines. Doesn't look exactly like a datasheet but everything is in view.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:28
There is not.
Could try Continuous View and make it look like Datasheet.
I will try to size a form so that all fields are viewable and horizontal scroll bar is not needed. But with Datasheet users can resize columns and then scroll will likely be activated.
I'm puzzled by that.?
I have always just reduced the width of the datasheet to just past the last column?

Edit: Apologies, I did just that with what is displayed. 😬

1590222514051.png

changed to
1590222584059.png

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:28
@Gasman, are you saying you are no longer puzzled?
Yes, because I have tended to use datasheets and not continuous forms.

After posting I realised that I had in fact changed the datasheet to a continuous form, but my memory is so bad I had forgotten, and did not recognise it as such. :oops:

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
I've never used a continuous Form so I tried it. Mine looks nothing like a datasheet, everything's in little boxes. Is there more to it than just changing the Default View ? June did say you also rearrange stuff, (I couldn't figure how) but it only shows one record.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Rearrange and resize. Resize controls as well as Detail section. Did you create form with wizard? If yes, in design view, select all controls and right click > Layout > Remove layout.

Move Label controls to form header.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks June, about to try that.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
>in design view, select all controls and right click > Layout > Remove layout.
It's greyed out.
I tried to move the labels to the detail section but it'll only move with the text box. Label by itself it won't drag over the border.
Default view is set to Continuous Form and shows multiple "Form views" one below the other. Various controls are different heights, they haven't changed to a datasheet type display.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Then controls must not have been in layout group.

Select label(s), Cut, Paste.

Move controls so they are side by side, change height and width.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
I opened the Form in design view, Cntrl-A, Cntrl-X, Cntrl-C
Remove layout is still greyed out.
But I think I get the idea, you build the datasheet view yourself by the rearrangement ? Access won't do it for you?
You put the labels into Form Header (which I've never used) as column headings?
When viewing, can you adjest a column width ?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Remove layout is greyed out because controls are not in a layout group. Build a form with wizard and it will group controls. I don't like working with layout group.

Correct, you must design.

Yes, labels act as headings.

No, column widths are not adjustable because these are not columns. Continuous form can give appearance of datasheet, not the behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom