Car insurance - they always up my rate! (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:46
@Isaac Do you have to root your phone to use the call recorder apps?
No.
But, I will say, they are very hit and miss. Some don't seem to work with Google Voice at all. The best ones automatically store each .mp3 in a cloud account like Drive, auto sync. Best bet is to pay $3-$4 for the premium versions.

I had one that I used for years, and it was great. At some point I uninstalled it and lost track of which one it was, since there are a ton of them with , for some reason, similar logos. Right now I am in the testing process with a few and haven't settled on one again yet. I use Voice exclusively so they have to work with Voice.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:46
Is that an Android phone you are using?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I like Androids flexibility. They are weaker on tablets, although Samsung have come out with a decent one very recently. I like the form factor of the iPad screen as it lends itself to webpage use more than the laptop type screen.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I like Androids flexibility
Yeah .. I can't imagine using an iPhone. I like the idea of doing whatever I want with my phone, rather than the phone telling me the "one" way that I have to do each thing. My elderly parents got one a few years ago, and we can't switch them because now they're used to it. My dad was frustrated with the idea that he has to pay many hundreds of dollars every few years for no reason, and all I could bring myself to say was "I get it...That IS crazy". Thinking of my $25-$50 phones that can do everything theirs can, except the higher quality camera aspect. But for them it's probably for the best...they find it easier to be told one way to do everything rather than flexibility. One thing I could never get over though, was the loss of a generalized, hard "back" button. I can't imagine using a phone where that has to be built into the GUI of EVERY app's EVERY screen, rather than generalized on the phone. But hey - they're cool..

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, the Back button is key. Perhaps the iPhone uses gestures nowadays instead for that.

The way I like to sell an expensive phone to myself, is to rationalise that I will be using it all day for maybe 2+ years. What does that work out at per hour? £720 over 2 years is approximately £1 per day. Then if I want that £720 phone instead of a £360 phone, what we are really talking about here is a 50p per day premium. Am I prepared to pay 50p per day extra? What is that per hour? Maybe 25p extra if I have 2 hours active use on my phone per day? Bargain! :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:46
I just upgraded from my 3G flip-phone because it died, and I decided it was time to join the 21st century. (Even though flip-phones were an idea from Star Trek's original series, which mean 23rd century...). So I got an Android-powered Samsung A71. Nice, big screen - good for my tired old eyes, and has a few really nice "accessibility" features. Now if I could just get Bixby to PERMANTLY STFU.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I can't claim I was always the simplest person ... I used to be interested in at least $200 phones, from a time when I was introduced years back to a Galaxy for the first time, I loved it, and then I started using them for a while.

But a couple years ago I was out of town and my phone completely broke/died. I walked into a Cricket store and bought an LG Risio for $25. (the Otterbox cost more than the phone, with tax). I didn't honestly expect to continue using it indefinitely, but as the weeks went by, I couldn't find any reason not to. I couldn't identify anything others were doing with their phone that I wanted to do with mine & couldn't. Although it lacks the cooler hardware features like fingerprint scanner and IR for using as a remote control, but my interests are mostly limited to apps. I've never found an app I can't use on it, and b/c I use cloud-based services with unlimited storage like G. Photos, I really have no storage complaints. I don't even use an SD card.

I have thus become the cheapest phone user in my family without expecting to. 2 years, the thing still runs perfectly. I like to keep doing what works, to a fault.

deletedT

Local time
But, I will say, they are very hit and miss. Some don't seem to work with Google Voice at all. The best ones automatically store each .mp3 in a cloud account like Drive, auto sync. Best bet is to pay $3-$4 for the premium versions.
@Isaac I've been using this app for several years. It's free and it works perfect.
Maybe you want to give it a try.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Mine records both sides. If there's only one review, probably something wrong on user side.
Thank you. I'll give it a try.
Question though. In Japan, if you do record the conversation, do you have to inform the other party that you are doing so?

deletedT

Local time
Yes. And it should be before recording.
Filming is the same. If we film a friend in public, no one else should be recorded or we should ask for their permission.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. And it should be before recording.
Filming is the same. If we film a friend in public, no one else should be recorded or we should ask for their permission.
So if you go to a baseball game in Japan and want to film a friend, you need everyone in the stadium to give permission?

deletedT

Local time
So if you go to a baseball game in Japan and want to film a friend, you need everyone in the stadium to give permission?

It’s the law. You can be on either side. Keep it or break it.
It’s just like driving without license. you're good as far as you’re not caught. Once you’re caught, you’re in trouble.
You can film the whole stadium, but once someone calls a cop, you have to pay the fine.
So choose as you like.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:46
Interesting. Does that law define a limit on precision of images to count as exposure?

What I am thinking is that EITHER you must sign a waiver to attend a televised major sporting event OR they must have a loophole that states that past a certain distance that law doesn't apply. (Like a wide-angle crowd shot.) Otherwise, there would be no televising a sporting event, and I have to imagine that Japan's sporting organizations get TV broadcast revenue for such events. They can't possibly say no to that income. I've seen televised sumo events, and I know I've seen crowds when Japan hosted the Olympic Games not that long ago. Or is this a recent law?

deletedT

Local time
@The_Doc_Man
I’m not sure about the answer to your questions. Maybe sports broadcasts or TV programs have their own laws.

We have special CMs in TV for social educations and instructions.These CMs are broadcasted daily to teach us how to behave in public, how to be better, or what is the new rules, laws etc. A nation wide class to teach us be better. (These CMs are called AC Japan here.)

What I know is that we are taught to not to use our phones or other devices to film or record others.
These CMs tells us not to film others without their consent because it’s against law. And we my be end up in jail or paying the fine.
Just like we are told (in these CMs) downloading movies is against law. But I actually don’t know streaming is allowed or not.

I imagine you know that google map or google street started to hide people faces in their app. I think you can guess the reason. In some countries (I’m not sure about US) it’s forbidden and one can sue them. So they start hiding faces.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
So for years you dump money into an insurance company, if you have a claim (health and life insurances work different from the rest). Then the insurance company determines how you actually get for repairs/replacement. Then they can cancel you or raise the rates.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
In the U.S., From what I understand, if you are in a public place, then anyone can film you. It is nice that Google hides their face. But of course you can hide your face for any reason. My wife is photo shy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom