USing Excel Connected to Access FE to MS SQL Server BE - security (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:17
OK, game's over. This example is actually for a custom switchboard that supports add/change/delete/read access to the switchboard items but it includes the login form so you can see how it works to control access to the other forms. You could use the concept without the custom switchboard but you would need some other way to implement the security aspect.

A password that allows all access is posted on the login form. There are others in the table that have lower access so you can see how the forms work. When a new user is added or the password is reset, the default password is "password". When you log in with that password, the form requires you to change it before proceeding. You can add other code to require special characters or a minimum length or whatever.

When I distribute the app internally, I leave it as an .accdb because that is more convenient for me but I rename the .accdb to .accdr so when the user runs the app, he will NOT be allowed access to any object in design mode. This isn't true security since the user may know enough to know that he can simply rename the file back to .accdb so you probably want additional security but as I mentioned earlier, distributing for in-house vs for sale use requires only sufficient security to prevent accidents. People who muck around should be aware that attempting to crack the app is an offense that can result in dismissal for cause.

Attachments

• SwitchboardForm20200921.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 99

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:17
Recently I've heard that vba project passwords are easy to bypass, which I believe since it comes from experts, but quite a few years ago on UA someone who I thought was an expert told me that they were the "strongest type of encryption" and quite secure, (granted, they were talking about .xls at the time).

I can confirm that VBA project passwords are easy to bypass. There is no need to crack the password
This quote is from my article linked earlier in this thread:
It is also possible to just protect your VBA code with a password
To do so, open the Visual Basic Editor from the Database Tools menu
Then click Tools … (Database name) Properties
Now click the Protection tab
Tick Lock project for viewing. Enter your chosen password twice and click OK
NOTE:
VBA project passwords are MUCH less secure and a method exists which allow them to be bypassed.
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED you do NOT rely on this approach alone

I am deliberately not going to explain how the VBA project password bypass is done

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:17
I can confirm that VBA project passwords are easy to bypass. There is no need to crack the password
This quote is from my article linked earlier in this thread:

I am deliberately not going to explain how the VBA project password bypass is done
Thanks for confirming.

jaryszek

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:17
hi Guys,

thank you!

when i forgot password i have just used online password crackers.

Jacek

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom