Having trouble linking a field from a different table in current form (1 Viewer)

gottdestodes

Local time
Today, 08:45
I am new to Microsoft Access and I am learning as I go. I am currently using Office 2016 Pro and the database has been split into a front end and back end. The company that I work for is a small machine shop with a simple type of database. I have this form
Part_Number and I believe it was setup via the form wizard. I have this other table labeled MATERIAL_ORDER and inside MATERIAL_ORDER I have a field MATERIAL_TYPE that i would like to add the the Part_Number form.

Screenshot (25).png

When I put it in design Mode and then click on Add existing fields and I then show all table. I then choose the section I want to be added, I then get prompted to specify the relationship. This is where it gets tricky for me. Each table has a Part number section so I tried to create the relationship between both the part numbers. Then I get confused form there to which option to choose
Screenshot (26).png

I chose the first option. Now the field will show with the information I want. Now when I use the drop down for Find a part and I choose a part some parts will show up and populate and others won't do anything. Now if I remove all these new settings everything works again.

I hope someone here can help me out with this. I have been stuck on this for the last couple of weeks now and my company would really like to get this field on the database. So any help would be great. I do understand a few terms here and there but like I am new to this. I know I must be leaving certain things out that might help anyone with resolving this, so if there is anything I haven't included please ask and I should be able to add to this post.

Thank you in advance.

-Mark

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:45
Hi Mark

Are you able to upload a zipped copy of the database?

gottdestodes

Local time
Hi Mark

Are you able to upload a zipped copy of the database?
My boss won't allow that due to some of the sensitive information inside the database. I know this won't help my issue if I can't get someone to look at the code.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:45
Hi Mark
Can you contact me via Personal Email?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When you want to show data from a second table, the most efficient method is to base the form on a query that joins both tables. However, since each form should only update a single table, you need to prevent the user from accidentally updating the lookup table. Do that by locking the fields that show the data from the lookup table. Here's a sample database that shows the technique.

Attachments

• FillFormFields20180816.zip
    342.4 KB · Views: 273

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom