OMG (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:26
In Australia Mr Potatohead more often means Peter Dutton, Minister for Home Affairs.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:26
I agree with these measure and think it is high time it happened so that children are able to be who they want and not feel limited by gender stereotypes. Those who don't understand this need to take a step back and start recognising how deeply ingrained gender prejudices are.

I grew up in the sixties and seventies when women were still very much disadvantaged and even paid less than men for the same work. I was proud to be part of the generation that put in place a lot of change. Before that people had to struggle for women to have a vote. There is still a way to go.

Eliminating the stereotyping of children is the next frontier.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:26
It isn't that I disagree with equality - I fail to see how having a separate area in a store feeds into that. It is more of an organizational preference and leveeing a fine is invasive to the owner's business. If the public feels like it is wrong, let the market be the judge and jury.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:26
It seems very childish, very silly, what these people are doing.

But it is in no way silly or childish, it is a concerted effort to undermine our humanity. The left-wing elements have not been able to get their way with their Marxism so they are coming back again in a different guise. The guise, "wokecraft"

That's the issue and it must be pointed out then stopped at every turn. It's nothing to do with Mr Miss or one of the hundreds ot other ways you can determine how you should address somebody, as pointed out by Jordan Peterson. It's about you, you, a decent level-headed person and 99 out of 100 of us are, and they are making an issue, and rules that we all have to follow because that gives the Marxists a power base, a thin end of the wedge approach.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:26
Totally ridiculous. Let them be who they are born, and proud of it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Apparently the Simpsons is getting rid of the voice actor for the black doctor character because he is white, despite playing that character for over 30 years. Yet they seem to be ignoring the fact that Bart Simpson's voice is played by a female voice actor. I just don't understand how they can't see their own hypocrisy. Or have a missed something?

I think making these changes are stupid. If they were real life characters then I would have a different view, since the visual differences would be obvious in both cases.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:26
While sometimes I am an old-school type of guy (please, try to hide your surprise), I am very much in favor of reducing the societal stereotypes that lead to toxic masculinity - and that goes hand-in-hand with toxic feminity. I was myself a victim of TM more than once. Mom and Dad wanted me to have grandkids but they had never showed me how to socialize. I learned it the hard way as the youngest, smallest kid in the classroom and it was always a stretch for me to talk to people. Learning by experience is a good way to have your ego bruised. It took me a lot of therapy to get to the point that I even COULD open up. (As some of you may know, I am now happily married, so the therapy worked!)

I don't think kids before puberty can actually know with any certainty where their preferences lie, but there is no need to try to force them into a gender-oriented mold for which they might not be ready. I'm not even talking "gay" or "straight" roles - just the ability to not ALWAYS be the strong, silent type who laughs off danger and adversity. John Wayne's "stoic cowboy" or "stoic soldier" roles (or whatever else he played) were NOT good for everyone, but he was the stereotype for my generation.

I firmly believe that it is possible to overdo the "woke" business, but at least SOME of it is very real and totally vital to keep society from flying apart. I can never fully understand the "black condition" but I know that since the time of Malcolm X and the "Blank Panther" movement, blacks have been frustrated. And here we are today with more racial frustration. I have tried to not be a part of the problem though I cannot fully see what they see. I CAN see the frustration, the anger, the impatience. I know that some of it stems from the "paternalism" of the Liberal mind-set, the subtle (or not so subtle) use of unlimited welfare to impose a long-term dependence.

Therefore, when people talk about "woke" politics, I'm not totally in favor, but I am also not totally opposed. We have a lot of garbage to take out but have to try to NOT throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
While sometimes I am an old-school type of guy (please, try to hide your surprise), I am very much in favor of reducing the societal stereotypes that lead to toxic masculinity - and that goes hand-in-hand with toxic feminity. I was myself a victim of TM more than once. Mom and Dad wanted me to have grandkids but they had never showed me how to socialize. I learned it the hard way as the youngest, smallest kid in the classroom and it was always a stretch for me to talk to people. Learning by experience is a good way to have your ego bruised. It took me a lot of therapy to get to the point that I even COULD open up. (As some of you may know, I am now happily married, so the therapy worked!)

I don't think kids before puberty can actually know with any certainty where their preferences lie, but there is no need to try to force them into a gender-oriented mold for which they might not be ready. I'm not even talking "gay" or "straight" roles - just the ability to not ALWAYS be the strong, silent type who laughs off danger and adversity. John Wayne's "stoic cowboy" or "stoic soldier" roles (or whatever else he played) were NOT good for everyone, but he was the stereotype for my generation.

I firmly believe that it is possible to overdo the "woke" business, but at least SOME of it is very real and totally vital to keep society from flying apart. I can never fully understand the "black condition" but I know that since the time of Malcolm X and the "Blank Panther" movement, blacks have been frustrated. And here we are today with more racial frustration. I have tried to not be a part of the problem though I cannot fully see what they see. I CAN see the frustration, the anger, the impatience. I know that some of it stems from the "paternalism" of the Liberal mind-set, the subtle (or not so subtle) use of unlimited welfare to impose a long-term dependence.

Therefore, when people talk about "woke" politics, I'm not totally in favor, but I am also not totally opposed. We have a lot of garbage to take out but have to try to NOT throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Teaching children to be balanced (i.e., adding 'strength' to a women's repertoire, and toning down the machismo from a man's), is totally reasonable. That's VERY different than teaching children at a young age that "Yes, you may SEEM like a man, but it's not a sure thing yet", i.e., questioning their gender.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Teaching children to be balanced (i.e., adding 'strength' to a women's repertoire, and toning down the machismo from a man's)
Is that a form of child chemical castration? :unsure:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I mean if you tone down or "suppress" someones nature, just like with chemical castration, you tone down and suppress someones inclinations. No chemicals involved, just analogous to chemical castration.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Everything has to be sissified and filtered through the 1%, while the 99% scratch their heads.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I mean if you tone down or "suppress" someones nature, just like with chemical castration, you tone down and suppress someones inclinations. No chemicals involved, just analogous to chemical castration.
I was just trying to be reasonable, Jon, and basically say (to people on the woke side) Hey, I'm OK with teaching kids to balance themselves in a way that mitigates their defects and rounds them out as a person in helpful ways - but not to the extent of teaching them (or encouraging them) to question their gender.

Isn't it amazing how often the child grows up in permissive liberal house (like Hollywood celebrities), and then "is" something alternative in lifestyle.
Magic coincidence, of course - nothing more I'm sure. Environment has nothing to do with it - it's all genetic! ;)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I grew up in the sixties and seventies when women were still very much disadvantaged and even paid less than men for the same work.
I grew up in the sixties and seventies too, that's when women were smoking-hot. Now the lines are blurred to the point where everyone looks like a eunuch.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was just trying to be reasonable, Jon, and basically say (to people on the woke side) Hey, I'm OK with teaching kids to balance themselves in a way that mitigates their defects and rounds them out as a person in helpful ways - but not to the extent of teaching them (or encouraging them) to question their gender.

Isn't it amazing how often the child grows up in permissive liberal house (like Hollywood celebrities), and then "is" something alternative in lifestyle.
Magic coincidence, of course - nothing more I'm sure. Environment has nothing to do with it - it's all genetic! ;)
It wasn't a criticism of your viewpoint. Instead, I am just pointing out that often we say, "This is not the way to behave." Doing this suppresses your natural inclinations. As societies evolve, the suppression continues down the slippery slope so you go further and further away from your genetic programming. This happens at the same time as those doling out the advice on how to behave do the exact opposite, because they too cannot escape millions of years of genetic programming. The consequence is the hypocritical tell you to do one thing while doing the other themselves.

Examples come to mind from say Nancy Pelosi with the lack of mask wearing during her hairdressers appointment, or saying you need due process for Biden's sexual harassment claim while also saying you must believe all women with the Brett Kavanaugh case.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:26
I think my position has to be one of moderation. (Guess that's why Jon lets me be a moderator?) But seriously, there is such a thing as telling a young boy who has just had the snot knocked out of him to "toughen up and be a MAN about it" and that is just WRONG. There has to be a more balanced approach to that. I know from personal experience. My journey through life included more than one bully along the way but I learned to deflect them most of the time.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:26
1614366438070.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom