Column: Amount, Data Type: Currency - Issues with adding prefix in Format Attribute (1 Viewer)

abosick

Local time
Today, 17:03
Hi!

My table has a column named: "Amount". The data type is "Currency". The column works perfectly in the Textbox it is assigned to. However, I'm looking for any way (Assuming "Format" in "Design View") to add the pre-fix "***" to the value in the Textbox. I went through an entire LinkedIn video series and searched everywhere through google/youtube without an answer. The only thing I could find is changing the currency symbol and adding color using the Format attribute in "General". Any help would be appreciated. Willing to send a coffee your way!

Thank you for your time!

-A

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 18:03
Is this just for display purposes or do you need an input mask? Does the use enter the *** or how does this work? Do you really mean ***123.00 or what do you really want to see? I do not get the purpose. Is this on a form or datasheet?

abosick

Local time
Is this just for display purposes or do you need an input mask? Does the use enter the *** or how does this work? Do you really mean ***123.00 or what do you really want to see? I do not get the purpose. Is this on a form or datasheet?

The amount field is used for checks that are getting printed out. There's been issues with checks being sent out and the scanner giving the wrong amount (something regarding the dollar sign being mistaken for another value). Been costing my friends small company quite a few dollars. I know it sounds weird, but they want the *** infront of the dollar amount. I'm not familiar with Access but did reporting and sql at a previous job for three years using SQL Server Management Studio and a little Microsoft Visual Studio . Was in shock I couldn't figure this out on my own but I don't use a GUI a lot to be honest. Doing this for a friend for free - has taken up WAY more time than I would have suspected. Thanks again for the response. I believe it's an actual form being used not a report/data sheet - pretty damn sure. Was agitated looking at it for hours today and don't recal TBH.

*** will not be entered by the user, it's just a prefix before the dollar amount is placed. So, I really do mean "*** $199.99"

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 18:03
If this is for printing and does not have to be for data entry. You should be able to do a calculated field.
Query1 Query1

someCurrencyFormatCurr
$10.00​
***$10.00
$123.00​
***$123.00
$1,234.00​
***$1,234.00
$123,456.00​
***$123,456.00
I did it in a query, but could be done in a calculated control
Code:
SELECT
  tblOne.someCurrency,
  "***" & Format([someCurrency],"Currency") AS FormatCurr
FROM tblOne;

abosick

Local time
If this is for printing and does not have to be for data entry. You should be able to do a calculated field.
Query1 Query1

someCurrencyFormatCurr
$10.00​
***$10.00
$123.00​
***$123.00
$1,234.00​
***$1,234.00
$123,456.00​
***$123,456.00
I did it in a query, but could be done in a calculated control
Code:
SELECT
  tblOne.someCurrency,
  "***" & Format([someCurrency],"Currency") AS FormatCurr
FROM tblOne;
I'll try that first thing tomorrow - when I can log in remotely. Thank you for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom