A non-political (for a change) big wind (1 Viewer)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:30
We already live in drought country, but who knows? Every area has its pros and cons, so if we decide to move we'll weigh them at that time. Maybe I'd move to NZ but their border is still closed. :unsure:

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 18:30
Maybe I'd move to NZ but their border is still closed
I went on a date with a woman once that thought NZ was the escape clause for all other problems. she never moved there though, and she remains in the USA until this day.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Good luck with the refrigerator. Had to toss a whole bunch of stuff. Took a long-time to clean. At least we did not have a freezer full of stuff. Next time, should we have to evacuate, we will pre-clean the refrigerator.

One reason we left two days after the storm was we had to clean the sidewalks (liability issues) and we had to empty the fridges and freezer compartments. After Katrina, we didn't have the chance or the time. The smell when we came home was truly astounding. But this time, we dumped stuff that had already started to thaw before it started to smell. We knew for a fact that we would not get power back in time to save the food. Cried as we dumped all that food, ... but dumped it we did.

A word of advice for folks in the USA close to the old South... buying new appliances will be an eye-opener. Expect long lead times. The population of south Louisiana that was affected with massive power issues was a little over 1 million people. At a nuclear family with husband, wife, and an average of 2 kids, that means a quarter of a million homes that potentially will need new appliances. So if 50% weren't so strongly affected, that is still 125K homes vying for washers, dryers, fridges, TVs, ... and also buying up lumber, tools, nails, screws, roofing tiles, you name it.

I recall that after Katrina, there was a period of over 1 year during which dry wall boards were at a premium.

Now the kicker... Hurricane Ida changed from wind-storm to rain-maker when it crossed into the Appalachians. Eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Western New York, and other nearby states got floods that will have the same effect. Right now, it's GOOD to own a working hardware store in the Eastern USA.

conception_native_0123

Local time
during the Iowa floods of 2008, I rode in a FEMA boat back to my apartment to throw away all my spoiled food from the refridgerator to the trash can. I got caught with my pants down.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Wife and I were heartbroken because there was some good food in the freezers and fridges, but we remembered Katrina. Didn't get caught the second time.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@pbaldy , several times a year I wonder to myself "why would anyone keep living there?" - about some place or another. And I also am confused by pictures of people sometimes - I understand the heartbreak, I would feel sad too if all my stuff got ruined and I had to wait for an insurance check and a new home to be built - because I know it takes special memories too, things that aren't replaceable - and also upends your life for a long time. BUT - what's confusing to me is not pictures of heartbroken people surveying the damage, it's the fact that they seem shocked by it--every year.
Arizona (and NM and NV) might be in a drought (although for AZ, that's actually over now thanks to near-constant rain for 3 weeks) - but we never have to worry about an unexpected monster suddenly appearing and levelling our house or work building.........or a 20 foot wave coming to drown us.....like clockwork every so often... Anyone who stays is tough, but I couldn't do it. I even just visited Oklahoma recently and 3 days in that humidity along with tornado threats made me flee back to the safety of the southwest. And by Phoenix's growth rate - #1 in the nation - at least I don't feel crazy nor alone in this assessment of where to live.
I'm lucky - it's not only "safe", but a decent place with real family values and relatively free from the more extreme liberal nonsense that comes along. I came here by accident, but stayed by choice! We're about to start our consecutive 7 months of 24/7 perfect weather (Nov-May), I'm excited!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@pbaldy , several times a year I wonder to myself "why would anyone keep living there?" - about some place or another. And I also am confused by pictures of people sometimes - I understand the heartbreak, I would feel sad too if all my stuff got ruined and I had to wait for an insurance check and a new home to be built - because I know it takes special memories too, things that aren't replaceable - and also upends your life for a long time. BUT - what's confusing to me is not pictures of heartbroken people surveying the damage, it's the fact that they seem shocked by it--every year.
Arizona (and NM and NV) might be in a drought (although for AZ, that's actually over now thanks to near-constant rain for 3 weeks) - but we never have to worry about an unexpected monster suddenly appearing and levelling our house or work building.........or a 20 foot wave coming to drown us.....like clockwork every so often... Anyone who stays is tough, but I couldn't do it. I even just visited Oklahoma recently and 3 days in that humidity along with tornado threats made me flee back to the safety of the southwest. And by Phoenix's growth rate - #1 in the nation - at least I don't feel crazy nor alone in this assessment of where to live.
I'm lucky - it's not only "safe", but a decent place with real family values and relatively free from the more extreme liberal nonsense that comes along. I came here by accident, but stayed by choice! We're about to start our consecutive 7 months of 24/7 perfect weather (Nov-May), I'm excited!

Why do people return to San Francisco or Alaska after earthquakes big enough to totally destroy roads? Why do people return to places on the USA west coast after forest fires that destroy whole villages? Why do people return to Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri... after massive EF3 and higher tornados? Why do people return to Wisconsin or Minnesota after blizzards that bury houses to their eaves - or higher?

Because it is home. It is where they put down their roots. People stay because it has become their territory. People stay because they are obstinate.

I wish there were more places in the USA that had more predictable weather, but we have what we have.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Why do people return to San Francisco or Alaska after earthquakes big enough to totally destroy roads? Why do people return to places on the USA west coast after forest fires that destroy whole villages? Why do people return to Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri... after massive EF3 and higher tornados? Why do people return to Wisconsin or Minnesota after blizzards that bury houses to their eaves - or higher?

Because it is home. It is where they put down their roots. People stay because it has become their territory. People stay because they are obstinate.

I wish there were more places in the USA that had more predictable weather, but we have what we have.
Yes I do see what you mean. And on some level I kind of knew that was going to be the answer. I guess I have been lucky in that I severed geographical ties with my family when I was very young, young enough not to care too much. So now I am used to it. And I take a view of where to live that is probably more brutally pragmatic than most people do. I literally wouldn't live in any of the places you mentioned once I realized there was a totally life-threatening thing that can happen every few months.

But maybe I'm weird, I've gotten used to being so mobile and having lived so many places perhaps it's not quite normal. Lucky me for not caring when I move, but lucky you guys for being able to put down meaningful roots. Totally see what you mean. 👍

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We are driving home tomorrow, about a 6 hour jaunt not counting rest and meal stops, and will be returning to a home without internet, phones, or TV. Therefore, I'll be off the air for a little while. However, I'm told that service is being restored in nearby areas, so I'll just wait my turn. To be honest, I'm sure they flooded the area with techs, so it shouldn't take too long.

conception_native_0123

Local time
To be honest, I'm sure they flooded the area with techs, so it shouldn't take too long.
don't be too sure, richard. when the derecho hit cedar rapids and iowa city here back in 2020, it took them 3 months to clean up broken glass on the sidewalks!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
<cynical>The folks at home don't use glass. They throw plastic bottles and other shapes on our lawn.</cynical>

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Past a certain point, I really don't care which it is.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Past a certain point, I really don't care which it is.
Well they are two different things richard, and they serve two different purposes. But I like being serious when the time for seriousness is not here :) like now. I don't care which one they are either. Even though there is a difference

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time

I see both sides of this. As Doc says, it's home. My default would be to stay too. I don't like it when government (ie taxpayers) are supposed to foot the bill. I saw a bit by John Stossel years ago. The gist of it was cheap government flood insurance was used by people to repeatedly rebuild houses on the coast, etc. I don't mind helping people after a crisis, but hey, stop rebuilding where the odds are so stacked against you and expecting me to pay the tab!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:30
stop rebuilding where the odds are so stacked against you and expecting me to pay the tab!
(y)

Or at least raise their insurance so that they foot the bill. Anytime big Gov subsidizes anything, it is us poor guys who feel the burn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom