I Love You MS Access. (1 Viewer)

Benjamin Bolduc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:34
Dear Microsoft Access

I just wanted to take a moment to express my undying love for you.

You make data fun!

I'll never let go Access, I'll never let go...

:D

Love Always
Ben Bolduc

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 17:34
Dear Microsoft Access

I just wanted to take a moment to express my undying love for you.

You make data fun!

I'll never let go Access, I'll never let go...

:D

Love Always
Ben Bolduc

I'm thinking you should look in the phone book for the nearest facility with psychiatric services and check in - QUICK! ;)

Although I do have a love/hate relationship with it. :cool:

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
I enjoy working in Access myself. I wish Microsoft would come of with some certifications (beside the MOS) for working with Access.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I enjoy working in Access myself. I wish Microsoft would come of with some certifications (beside the MOS) for working with Access.

True, true... In the absence of such, I've at least gone for brainbench certs.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:34
Love/hate relationship? Yes, that sounds like Access.

I used to use Paradox for DOS - a LONG time ago. When Paradox for Windows came out, I tried it. BOY, was I disappointed. To my mind, they screwed the pooch on that transition.

In desperation to do what I wanted, I tried Access based on one of those "competitive upgrade" offers - MS gives you "a cheaper copy of Access if you already have one of our competitor's products" - that type of offer. I was able to use it for some really complex stuff quickly. Yes, it was Access 2.0 and it ran under Windows 3.1 - I've been around that long.

I truly understand those who say they HATE Access with a multi-colored passion. But every time I've tried to do something with it, I've been able to do so, no matter that what I wanted was awkward, ugly, and probably bad enough to make purists puke.

But hey, with doing comes experience; with experience comes learning; with learning comes the inevitable question, "OK, now that you've learned how to do this, wanna tackle that mess over there?" (The dreaded "success begets more challenges" rule of management.) I swear there are times I want to fail just so they'll leave me alone. But that ain't my work ethic so I strive for success.

Note I don't claim to strive for perfection or excellence. I leave that to the snobs. I'm a "dirt up to my elbows" type of guy who has learned a lot of good things. And the reason I'm posting in response to this thread is because it was through Access that I learned a lot of those good things. It was through my ability to see Access for what it was that got me more respect around the office. And it was Access that gets me sneered at by the ORACLE gurus who forget that I took ORACLE courses too...

Of course, they remember me, that pretentious systems administrator, when their accounts go belly up or they fill up a disk and can't recover from it, but hey, all in a day's work. And I go home at night, secure in the knowledge that despite ORACLE's greater range and power, it still needs it butt wiped every so often just like Access.

So yes, despite being a pain in the patootie for not having some features that everyone really wishes it had, Access is definitely a positive part of my business life.

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:34
I started using BASIC language in the 1980's. I liked ACCESS because it is relational database and has VBA. Sometimes, it is a challenge, but I am able to do what I want to do in ACCESS (sometimes with help from this forum). My co-workers are sometimes not too happy with the fact I am not great with EXCEL. I tell them I can do it in ACCESS!!
Learning Recordsets and Arrays was a lot of fun. I do not have to kiss a DBA for favors. I can do things on my own in ACCESS.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Basic??
Dos???
Windows 3.1????
:p :p :)

Whoa... i made 1000 posts.... yippie

Newman

Québécois
Local time
A teacher of mine once said:
"If you are not happy with Windows (Can apply to Access or any other program), remember that you are programmers. So go ahead, and build your own version..."

Another one once said:
"Stop talking against Microsoft. If you don't get your degree, you'd be very happy to have this company to hire you."

doco

Power User
Local time
Whoa... i made 1000 posts.... yippie

So, just how does one get 'a thousand' posts? :rolleyes:

Been around since TRS80 and writing databases in basic using multi-dimensional arrays; and storing the data on 5 1/2" floppies. I too remember Access 2.0 (as I look at an old book in a stack in the corner of my office: "Using Access 2 for Windows", QUE, Roger Jennings. It is there on top of the Programming Paradox 4.5 for Windows, DOS Batch File Lab Notes, Assembly Language for the PC ,etc - gotta clean that corner out someday).

I remember reading somewhere that MSAccess users should begin making the trek toward SQL Server in that MS is rattling the 'no-longer-support-Access' saber. I do both and love Access as a reporting tool for SQL Server.

and probably bad enough to make purists puke.

I have to chuckle on this one. After studying folks like Boyce, Codd and Date then look at the 'real world' is a real hoot. For instance, I often wonder how many thousand tables one of the four or five hundred table SQL Server db's I am currently working with daily, would morph into if even 3NF was strictly practiced. So, puke away purists :p

doco

Power User
Local time
Help and get helped!

Yes, I know. My comment was supposed to be a small swipe at making posts on an off subject (Access) thread like those found here. And now I get one more post :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, I'm heading for #5000 somewhere in here - if I haven't already passed that one. You get to big numbers by posting answers and following up.

Or your flame the USA in one of the non-technical threads. Do enough and you get GREAT numbers.

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 12:34
I agree, I love Access! It's been hard bloody work and a hell of a lot of time being very ready to smash ones head against a wall :mad:
But it's all been worth it. I now make a living as an Access Programmer, which is really hard to believe, as I know that I am a long way short of being close to knowing all the tricks and traps.
But through Access came SQL Server and Informix, now my time is taken up with ASP.net.
So yea, I love Access. :)

doco

Power User
Local time
Or your flame the USA

But at least you can still do it in English and not German! :p

There is no experience quite so exhilarating as being shot at to none effect - Winston Churchill

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:34
Access version 1 anyone. Came on about 4 floppy disks (remember them).
Doc man - I too tried Paradox for windows and Dbase for windows. neither would open a form in less a minute.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My biggest problem with Paradox for Windows - at least, the first version that I tried - was the events they recognized were deficient. Less than half of the events seen by Access of the same vintage. And their language was Pascal, which was OK but it wasn't quite like VBA.

On the other hand, I've had guys in my office who swore by Paradox. I just never saw anything in it that I had to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom