Backend File (1 Viewer)

ChrisAnthony

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:05
Hi All,

I have a Access DB that is split. I have the back end stored on the network in a folder.

What I am wanting to do is hide the actual database file in that directory so user cannot see it, only accessc it through the front end file.

When I uncheck list folder content from the folder security, the user can no longer access the DB.

Does anyone know how to get around this??

Thanks!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:05
Try setting the file's Hidden property to yes.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 18:05
Hi All,

What I am wanting to do is hide the actual database file in that directory so user cannot see it, only accessc it through the front end file.
Thanks!

What are you trying to achieve?

What is the benefit of hiding the Back End?

Setting its properties to hidden only hides it from some people, unless you have total control of their Windows Explorer.

rbh1090

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:05
Anyone with basic knowledge of MS Access can modify the behavior of a database by removing or altering any of its components: tables, queries, forms, reports, macros, or modules. The easiest and most secure way to prevent this from happening is to save the application as an .accde database; this type of files prevents any modification to its components, and can only be executed.

In a client - server model the only drawback of this format is that when an automatic update of the application is required, the original .accdb file must be modified, convert it back to the format .accde, put it in a shared folder and resorting to an external component that replaces the application with the new version.

There is another alternative to protect the client application and allow the database administrator to update the application without having to resort to an external component that replaces the application file.

Continue here: http://www.msaccessdeveloper.pro/#!Securing-the-frontend/c6x8v/55b047890cf22effe2e365f8

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom