Controls in form not showing up (1 Viewer)

sad92027

Local time
Today, 15:21
I have a front-end database linked to tables in a back-end database. I have security permissions set for a group to have read permissions on the form and read permissions on the linked table in the front-end and also read permissions on the underlying table in the back-end. When I sign on with an account that has only these read permissions the form opens but none of the bound controls show up. There are no error messages when I do this.

In order to be able to see the controls I have to have read/write/update/delete permissions on the table in both the front-end and back-end. This does not happen on all forms.

I have already tried importing all objects into a new database and creating a new workgroup information file. I have not yet tried recreating the form. I am fairly new with access 2003. Any clues would be much appreciated.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:21
Controls don't appear in Form View when two conditions exist at the same time:

1. The form cannot have records added to it
  2. There are no records in the underlying recordset
Item #1 obviously is explained by your making the form Read-Only.

Item #2, assuming that there actually are records present in the underlying table, would seem to indicate that there is a problem in the connection to the table(s) preventing the user from actually accessing the table.

sad92027

Local time
Thanks missingling for replying. The form is set to open/run and the tables read data, read design. I have the same permissions on other forms and they show everything. The problem with this form is that it is not showing the text boxes, combo boxes, labels etc. Anything that is a bound control is not even appearing.

I just noticed that when I hit the filter by form then the controls appear. I am sure that I have some property mis-configured or something going on in the background with my vba code. I am going to take a look at that.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I just noticed that when I hit the filter by form then the controls appear.
Maybe you have a persistent filter that shouldn't be there.

1. Open the form in design view

2. Go to the DATA tab and look to see if there is a filter in the Filter property.

3. If so, delete it and save the form.

If it is there, then make sure you aren't using some code like

DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveYes

thinking that you are closing the form and saving records when in fact the acSaveYes means save design changes to the form (I've had people make that mistake before).

sad92027

Local time
Thanks all for the help.

I found that if the data entry property is set to yes on the data tab then anyone that has only read permissions will see a blank form when it loads. I set the property to no and the bound controls appear.

Is there a general rule of thumb when you set this property to yes in the data tab?

I would like users that have write permission to open the form with the property set to yes and those with only read permission have it set to no. So should I just check the adox.catalog in the form_open event to find out what permission the user has?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Data Entry means that no records will show for anything except for those entered that session. So if you can't add new records (read only) then nothing will show, that is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom