VB Script to import Excel workbooks with multiple tabs in MS Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

captdkl02

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:37
I am using Excel and Access 2010. I have 7 Excel workbooks with multiple tabs with the same type of data need to be imported into a single Access 2010 database. Each tab has identical field names with different number of records. I would like to import automatically by some type of VBscript or macro within Access.

Each workbook has multiple tabs (worksheets). Each workbook represents a group in my organization and each tab presents a project.

For example:
Workbooks:
1) Group 1 - Project A1, Project A2, ...Project An
2) Group 2 - Project B1, Project B2, ....Project Bn
3) Group N - Project Z1, Project Z2, ...Project Zn

Here is some code will import a workbook tab to a separate access table.

Private Sub Command1_Click()
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Procedure : ImportXLSheetsAsTables
' Author : jed
' Date : 1/16/2009
' Purpose : To import all worksheets in a specified workbook into
' individual tables in Access.
' Tables get names: Tbl_ + name of the worksheet
'
' NOTE: Must have a reference to the Microsoft Excel Object Library
' Make sure that the file GEMCAP.xls is located on your desktop. You may have to change the path
' if you are using a newer version of Windows. This was designed to run on Windows XP.
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'
Dim appExcel As Excel.Application
Dim wb As Excel.Workbook
Dim sh As Excel.Worksheet
Dim strValue As String

On Error GoTo ImportXLSheetsAsTables_Error

Set appExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set wb = appExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\david.lehman\Documents\DSS\Budget Justification Project\Spend Plan Baseline\test\HQ FY13 Spend 111812v2.xlsx")
For Each sh In wb.Sheets
Debug.Print sh.Name
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "DSS Consolidated SP-5" & sh.Name, "C:\Users\david.lehman\Documents\DSS\Budget Justification Project\Spend Plan Baseline\test\HQ FY13 Spend 111812v2.xlsx", True, sh.Name & "!"
Next

wb.Close
appExcel.Quit

On Error GoTo 0
Exit Sub

ImportXLSheetsAsTables_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure ImportXLSheetsAsTables of Module Module9"
End Sub

I need to everything in one Access table. The 1st row in each tab are identical representing the field names.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:37
Maybe it is a bit tedious, but how about importing one sheet at a time to one table at a time, but then append the contents of the single table to where you really wanted it, then erasing the intermediate table and doing the next import?

captdkl02

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:37
I have done that with the Access wizard and want to import all tabs from each workbook. I have 8 workbooks averaging 8+ tabs. That is over 64 sheets and takes too much manual time. Writing in VB script is the way to go to automate it.

I am still looking for hints and previous code to import all workbooks with several tabs each at one time into an Access table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom