How Do I Reference Mac's MS Word (1 Viewer)

painterz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:20
Hi All,

I am running Parallels on my Mac to create a dual platform since MS hasn't released a Mac version of Access. My computer is getting slow, so I loaded Mac's version of Word and Excel and removed them from my Windows side so I have more space for Access. Now Access is complaining that it can't find Word and I think it's due to this reference:

Code:
Dim objWord As Word.Application
Dim objWordDoc As Word.Document

Since Word is now on another platform (seen as another drive), do I need to add the path too? What would that look like?

Thank you

painterz

Registered User.
Local time
The first error I get is
ActiveX component can't create object
when this line is encountered

Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.application")

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:20
If you want to use Word and Excel automation I'm fairly certain you are going to have to reinstall Word and Excel on the Windows side.

Consider the Microsoft Word xx Object Library reference you need to have to declare objects like:
Code:

You can see in the following image where the normal location for this reference would be (At least in Office 2013). Since you must have removed this file during the Word removal I suspect you will find this reference broken. Even if it is possible to browse to the MAC side and reference the MSWORD.OLB file there linking to it seems highly unlikely being that that code there would be for a MAC.

My sister has a Parallels system too and she tells me that sometime if the Windows programs get slow she allocates more memory in Parallels to the Windows side and she says deleting Temp files also helps.

Attachments

• Word Ref.png
    Word Ref.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 538

painterz

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the indepth response and pics! You are correct, the error I first get when I open my db regards broken references. With Parallels, printer, USB, etc have to be shared so the Windows side can see them. I'm wondering if I can share software (libraries?). I'll look through my References to see if I can see Mac's MS Word. Now I have a direction to start working in.

Thanks!!!

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
I'll look through my References to see if I can see Mac's MS Word. Now I have a direction to start working in.

I don't think that's going to work for the reason (Windows code won't link to MAC code) asserted in my post, but if it's Common Intermediate Language(CIL) code then who knows. Please let us know what you find out.

painterz

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Steve,

For some reason it looks like I'm running in safe mode on this post so I'm not able to show a graphic of my references or use QUOTES or CODE icons. I was able to find my hidden Mac libraries, but not able to find any references to MS Word that I could share to Windows.

I reloaded Word to my Windows side, rebooted, and checked my references in Access and it does show the Word library checked. I then ran a module to see if everything worked and I got the same error as before regarding "ActiveX component can't create object". I then checked MS ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library (because it was the highest number out there) in my references and it didn't change my outcome.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry but I can't say what your problem could be now except to say that you shouldn't need the MS ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library reference to run this code without error

Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.application")

I think MS ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library is needed when you want to use ADO to connect to a database.

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to reinstall or repair Access, but I suggest you start a new thread with this new problem. Something got buggered in this one. Maybe it's missing a connection to a style sheet.

painterz

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Steve, I'll reinstall Access and move on. Fingers crossed! I appreciate your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom