Event triggers (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:35
Apologies in advance for I am certain this has been answered. However I cannot find anything definitive on this or any other forum.

Is there an event trigger that fires when you leave a record even if there are no changes made to the record?

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:35
The On Current does this most of the time (next record, previous record, first and last) but not when you close the form. Maybe you could combine events into a custom event that would do this. Here's a pretty good video on custom events.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thanks Steve. Although this doesn't really answer my question, it is some useful info I may play with later.

My situation is simple enough; I have a text parsing module that imports message traffic into one of my main tables. Once the import is done, the user can view the new imports in a form that is filtered to only show what has been imported.

The issue is that a user can view them individually and exit the form without triggering any events as long as no changes have been made. I want each record evaluated (validated) even if no changes have been made.

I have thought about using the On Current event to set Me.Dirty = True so that I can trigger the Before Update event when the user leaves the current record. It just seemed like a complicated way to do something and I thought there had to be a easier and more efficient way to do this.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Actually Steve, this video for making custom events could be exactly what I need...even if what I laid out in my prior post works, it is nowhere near as cool as making your own event. I will let you know how this plays out, thanks again.

BTW, is the Steve in the video and you one and the same?

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
I have thought about using the On Current event to set Me.Dirty = True so that I can trigger the Before Update event when the user leaves the current record. It just seemed like a complicated way to do something and I thought there had to be a easier and more efficient way to do this.
...even if what I laid out in my prior post works, it is nowhere near as cool as making your own event.

You think your original workaround is 'complicated,' so you're going to get into 'making your own event?' :eek: You have no idea!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
You think your original workaround is 'complicated,' so you're going to get into 'making your own event?' :eek: You have no idea!

Well when you say it like that, it does sound crazy and contradictory...!

But making you own events is just too cool to pass up. You have had some frustrations I take it?

All that being said, will my "complicated" (not so much now) solution work? Will forcing the Dirty property trigger the Before Update event even if no change is made?

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:35
BTW, is the Steve in the video and you one and the same?

No. I wish I could take the credit. I wish I had that energy. I'm in the process of creating a Web site with useful stuff like pbaldy's but even that's not getting anywhere fast.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Well best of luck with that!

I did a quick test with some sample data at home and my "complicated" solution works just fine.

Although I really want to make a custom events for the cool points, I am going to take the path of least resistance...

Steve, thanks for the tutorial. MissingLinq thanks for the reality check!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom