Update Sharepoint list on button click (1 Viewer)

fish001

Local time
Today, 08:16
Hi All,

I know Access can link to SharePoint List and also able to work offline with SharePoint List. However, the user of mine is using Access 2016 Runtime, it take a very long time to load and the form still couldn't open when tables are linked to SharePoint. Hence, i decided to create a button for them to click to update sharepoint list item using VBA. However, I have no idea how to start. :banghead:

Please Help.

URGENT.

Thank you so muchhhhh .

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:16
SharePoint + Access Runtime = No Joy.

At least as far as synchronizing with Sharepoint via VBA. If you are using a version of Access that is 2013 or higher it gets even worse.

What cache settings are you using?

fish001

Local time
Today, 08:16
Hi ,

Attached is the cache settings i have . :confused:

Attachments

• Cache.JPG
    Cache.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 114

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:16
Perfect. However, I’m afraid you have done just about all you can do. Microsoft simply has abandoned development with Access and Sharepoint interactivity and has decided to go in a different direction.

There are two Macro commands (acCmdSynchronize and acCmdToggleSharePointOn(Off) but the only way I was able to make them work was with the immediate window. You would think it would be the same as selecting the Sychronize Sharepoint List menu option, but it isn’t.

This problem was one of a few that prompted me to convince my boss to go to SQL Server and life has been great ever since.

The slow performance could be a few things:
- relinking your tables at startup. It seems like a great idea but it takes time, especially if the lists have over 10k records in them. If your clients need to work offline then this is unavoidable unfortunately.
- bound forms. It takes a LONG time to load forms if you have large tables/recordsets. This is true with just about every aspect of Access no mater how you have your FE/BE linked, but even more so with Sharepoint. Using unbound forms to retrieve a single record or even smaller recordsets can help. Look into SP views as well, it is kind of tricky but it allows the Server to do the sorting and is much faster. I tried it but has its own set of issues that made it too difficult to use.

They are other reasons, but these two are usually the biggest culprits.

If you are forced to stick with SP then you can look into a customized ribbon that has the Sychonize and Work Offline options on it. I am not sure if it would work, it was the next thing I was going to try before we decided to go to SQL.

Here is a link to a blog that has helped me a great deal, hopefully it can help you too.

https://accessexperts.com/blog/sharepoint/

Be sure to read the comments, it is there you will find some additional advice. I had sent the Author a few questions that went unanswered and even shelled out $75 for the book he and Juan Soto mentioned (Microsoft Access in a SharePoint World), but was a waste of time and money. At the time it was written, 2011 I beleive, MS was committed to published Access Application development but has since abandoned that concept.

I know this doesn’t really solve your problem and paints a depressing picture, but hopefully there is something in there that can help you.

Best of luck...

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom