How to have a front/back split on Sharepoint (not Lists) (1 Viewer)

XelaIrodavlas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:46
Hello,

We have an access database (Back End) which is stored in a SharePoint Doucments store. We use this as a datasource for various PowerBI reports (which have inbuilt connectors for such a setup).

We would like to add a Front End ACCDB to interface with the data, however, I can't see a way to connect to the Back End file :( I have looked at the options (screenshot below) the usual wizard for connecting only seems to accept traditional network file locations (can't link to the web).

Am I missing something obvious / any ideas what I can do to fix this?

TIA :)

1711357649459.png

1711357840595.png

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 03:46
hm. You store the accdb in a SharePoint document library? And that accdb contains the tables you want to use as the back end?

I've never heard of anyone having success doing that, but perhaps this is another opportunity to learn something, so I'll hope for a response from someone.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I wouldn't really recommend this kind of setup, but try creating a mapped drive to the document library and see if you can link to the backend file that way.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:46
My concerns are two-fold: whether the Sharepoint server supports SMB (since modern firewalls can be protocol-selective) and whether the network physical layer is hard-wired. If the Sharepoint server and its users are local to each other, then the use of a LAN connection would resolve the second concern. Don't know enough about Sharepoint document libraries to address the first concern.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Hello,

We have an access database (Back End) which is stored in a SharePoint Doucments store. We use this as a datasource for various PowerBI reports (which have inbuilt connectors for such a setup).

We would like to add a Front End ACCDB to interface with the data, however, I can't see a way to connect to the Back End file :( I have looked at the options (screenshot below) the usual wizard for connecting only seems to accept traditional network file locations (can't link to the web).

Am I missing something obvious / any ideas what I can do to fix this?

TIA :)

View attachment 113257

View attachment 113258
As a test, I followed the suggestion provided by theDBGuy. I was able to link to the tables in an accdb in a mapped SharePoint document library in a Microsoft 365 account.

I am a bit surprised, to be honest. Not something I would be comfortable doing in a production environment, to be sure. But it does appear to be supported under Windows 11.

tvanstiphout

Local time
As a test, I followed the suggestion provided by theDBGuy. I was able to link to the tables in an accdb in a mapped SharePoint document library in a Microsoft 365 account.

I am a bit surprised, to be honest. Not something I would be comfortable doing in a production environment, to be sure. But it does appear to be supported under Windows 11.
It is supported officially, as you can read here. However that page also recommends not doing that, and offers alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom