Dll file for each computer accessing the database (1 Viewer)

elliotth123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:48
I have a datbase using an active X dll file that does barcoding for me. The issue is that the access file is going to remain on one main computer and everyone can access it through that computer via file sharing. But since the dll file isn't on anyones computer it errors out. WHat would be the easiest and efficent way to incorporate the installation and registration of this dll file to any computer who tries and opens the file? Can this be done?
The only way I have thought of is creating a batch file to copy the dll, regsiter it, then open the access database but I am not happy with that Idea. I want something more simple since the people who are going to be accessing it are relativly computer illiterate. Any helpw ould be appreciated. thanks!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:48
If you have a startup form, you could put some code in the FormLoad event to do a FileFind (q.v. in the Help Files) to identify whether the .DLL file is there. If it is not, find the file on the server and use a FileCopy operation (q.v. in the Help Files.) The problem will be how to register a .DLL and add the reference. I've never tried that from VBA. But some folks have posted on this forum for similar problems. You might want to search within the forum for issues with registering libraries. Or check the Microsoft Knowledge base for keywords "Access" "Registering DLL" "Updating References" - together or separately.

elliotth123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:48
Dll files

Thanks for your response, I tried setting up what you said with no success. I think the best way would be to use a install shield program or something similar to do this. Thanks for your help again!

thart21

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:48
Distribute dll file

I just created a .exe file with my FE .mdb and MouseHook.dll. I have it set to download and extract to my users C:\Training Database folder. I originally did not place the dll in the folder and my users were getting an error message that the dll file was not found. The message is gone now, but, in reading some posts, I see that the dll must be "registered". If it seems to be working for everyone now, should I just assume that it is registered or will I encounter problems down the road with this. I did try the
Start / Run regsvr32 MouseHook.dll

but it said it did not find the module.

Just want to know if I am setting myself up for future problems.

Thanks,

Toni

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom