Tip 2000 to 2010 transition troubles (1 Viewer)

PhoenixofMT

Part-time Access Guru
Local time
Today, 11:07
Hello, I just wanted to post this in case someone else is having the same issues or perhaps someone has comments on what I could have done differently.

I have been supporting a database for a couple of years now based on Access 2000. It's not used very often and all the files together are less than 30MB. I have a back-end on a server, a front-end master and a front-end executable (MDE).

Earlier this year, the company finally updated it's office software from 2000 to 2010.

My challenge came when I tried to use 2010 to make a .mde file after updating the front-end. Even though it had been edited and saved as a 2000 database, it complained:

You cannot create a <Name-of-Database> ADE or MDE file from a database saved in <Name-of-Database> 2000 format.
Convert the database to the current version of <Name-of-Database>.Then create the ADE or MDE file.
This wasn't a problem for a while and I just used 2000, until my personal laptop (with Office 2k) was banned from the building (stupid ITAR) and my access to Access 2000 is now limited to older, slower machines still running Windows 2000Pro. So I broke down and converted everything to to the new version. Everything was looking good to go and I even had the auto-update modified in the old version to grab the new one for the users and let them know that it won't work on older versions of Access. Then I actually opened the .accde and all the buttons on the switchboard were gone!

What I found eventually, is that I needed to compile my VB code explicitly and THEN make the .accde. Apparently a couple of forms that I've been developing had garbage in the code somewhere.

I also had trouble finding the switchboard manager. Microsoft hid it away in the list of controls for the ribbon and the quick bar. You have to find it in there and add it to one of them (ribbon or bar) so you can click it. I wish they could have done something like the search in the Windows 7 start menu, instead of having to go through all that to find the hidden stuff.

Anyway, comments? Solutions to other transition problems that I didn't have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom