A good cloud backup service with EASY search/label/folder functions + a desktop app (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:00
Hi, I'm looking to decide what to do with my existing Google Drive and Adrive storage situations. My purpose is just family (and some minor business/miscellaneous) backup. I'm not happy with my options. Adrive seems so outdated, for example, I know they have a Desktop backup program, but they don't even advertise it on their homepage, you have to Google it (weird, and not a vote of confidence). Google drive I don't think is so great - I feel that I should have more and better Search, Sort, and labelling/tag options.

I'm OK paying a yearly fee for a good amount of storage (to me 'good' is 100 GB or more).

But when I go to clean up files, I don't want it to be inordinately hard to find them. I want to be able to use common sense tools like search by file type, size, last modified, last uploaded, etc. etc.

I don't care about editing things online, for sure.

I currently am paying $20/year for 100 GB at Adrive, and another $20/year to Google for 100 GB.
Adrive is 90% used, Google is 40% used - but I have tons of crap I'd love to clean up, if only the interfaces were better/easier to use.

Things important to me:
  1. A company that will stay around & not drastically change the rules every so often. (Example, when google photos went from "free high quality unlimited, we promise for life" to "we changed our minds and this is going to count against your overall "Google One" storage"....at which point you suddenly wished you hadn't spent 5 years taking screenshots of everything and its brother!!)
  2. A good desktop app for doing backup, synch, folders included, configuration (I felt onedrive, for example, was awful at providing a nice GUI)
  3. Good search/sort/find/clean up features in either the online access or the desktop app access.
    1. (I guess if the tool is capable of mounting itself as a local Drive, without messing up my entire OS/computer like Adrive used to do, and then synching that back to the account, that will be sufficient)
  4. Being able to access it both online and through desktop app
Any good ones that have some reputation and great features?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:00
I notice you have not yet received a reply, hence I am bumping your question up the list :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
We used Carbonite where I last worked.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I use Carbonite, although it is not the most intuitive interface. You can schedule backups to be continual or during certain hours only (e.g. overnight). That's handy to avoid network congestion.

There are a lot of competitors, so I would suggest you invest a few hours in searching with your favorite search engine.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 19:00
I guess if the tool is capable of mounting itself as a local Drive, ....... like Adrive used to do, and then synching that back to the account, that will be sufficient
Being able to access it both online and through desktop app
You are asking for a good cloud Backup service, but trying to work on your backup.
A backup should be a mirror of your files and never be touched. What happens if you accidentally delete/edit a file in your cloud or need it's previous version?

I have almost 1TB data and it's all on local internal/external drives.
I use a third party app (syncBackPro) to backup selected drives/folders to cloud (Dropbox, OneDrive) and have made three profiles for mirroring my data:
Daily (runs twice a day), weekly & monthly.
In this way I have a month guarantee to "resurrect" a file after being deleted/edited.
syncBackPro indexes the selected drives/folders locally and on cloud and it only works only on edited/deleted files while any of above profiles is running. Each profiles takes less than 10 min to complete. It runs behind scene and I don't even recognize while it's running.
If anything goes wrong a mail is sent to my mobile.

If needed, I can access my file on clouds using any PC anywhere or my mobile.

There are a lot of mirroring apps around. It's a one time purchase and will cost $30 to $60. You will have a full backup of your files on 2 or more clouds. You can work on your local files and be sure they'll be backed up.
And above all you have access to your files on the clouds anywhere with your mobile or with a PC with internet connection.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
You are asking for a good cloud Backup service, but trying to work on your backup.
A backup should be a mirror of your files and never be touched. What happens if you accidentally delete/edit a file in your cloud or need it's previous version?

that's right, a backup service with sync that really doesn't have previous versions, that's what I want. common consumer product these days. Google drive OneDrive etc.

thank you to those of you who suggested I might try carbonite and look at ice drive too.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well if you are not interested in previous versions.
I use Allway Sync to back up to my NAS box.
I used Freefile Sync in my last place of work. That synced the new server to the old server, that was then backed up by Carbonite.
The reason for that, was the licence was to the old server. However, of course it also meant a local backup.
That came in handy when a windows update went tits up on the server, We just used the old server until I could get the new one backup and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom