Able to add numbering after query??? (1 Viewer)

Clut

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:58
Hi,

I'm creating a database that stores troubleshooting information for a clients product.

The client enters a brief description of their problem, and the database compiles a 'fault finding tree' for the user to follow to fix their problem.

The fault tree initially consisted of 3 levels of instruction: as shown below:

1st level: Ensure the Operating Temperature is within operating range.
2nd level: Use the Internal Temperature Sensor to measure the the internal operating temeperature
3rd level: Set the Internal Temperature Sensor to 'mode 6' and press the green button to start the internal temperatue test.

typically, a fault finding tree would look something like the example below:

Instruction (level 1)
- > sub instruction (level 2)
- - > sub sub instruction (level 3)
- - > sub sub instruction
- > sub instruction (level 2)
- - > sub sub instruction (level 3)

This setup enabled experienced engineers to solve problems at the first level of data, and less experienced engineers to get more detailed instruction.

Currently, the instuctions in the fault finding tree have a default order, but are not numbered on the screen for the users to see.

I want some of the instructions to say things like 'If the red light is ON, go to step 3, otherwise continue on with step 1.2.... but that is a little difficult if the items aren't numbered!.

The simple solution here is to number the instructions, HOWEVER, the database allows engineers to record which instruction fixed a particular problem. Then, one of the main functions of the database is to dynamically re-order the fault trees the next time that problem is encountered, weighting the instructions that have previously solved the problems, bringing them closer to the top of the fault tree, thus saving time for the next engineer.

If the instructions are pre-numbered, re-ordering them (and also saying 'goto step 3') become irrelevant.

Right now, I have a query that pulls the instructions from all 3 tables, and a report that nests them all nicely.
Is there anyway of getting them correctly numbered after they have been queried?

Sorry for the long question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom