Absolute vs Relative Hyperlink (1 Viewer)

Colorado Spring

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:28
Hello...

I have an excel spreadsheet that contains many links to documents saved on several different shared drives. This spreadsheet has many users and oftentimes these users save copies to their hard drives, or elsewhere.

Is there any way I can specify that all hyperlinks remain as absolute rather than reverting to relative once a user saves a copy in a different location? Is there any code I can include and, if so, where would it go?

Thanks in advance for your help ;>)
Karen

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
For my sheets where there are links to other sheets in the network, i use the complete path name.
e.g
\\Server\C_Drive\Financial planning\Sheets_09\Workbook1....(you get the idea)

Colorado Spring

Registered User.
Local time
Yes...I do include the full path name but if, for example, the user copies the file from it's existing location and paste's to a new location on their hard drive, the path in the links change to look at the hard drive rather than the shared drive location.

I know that, if the user actually opens the file and uses Save As to place a copy somewhere else, it will keep the absolute link. But, if they simple copy and paste to the new location, it looks to the new location for all the links.

Just thought that there might be a way to add some code to make all links retain their original paths.

Thanx for your quick response ;>)

Colorado Spring

Registered User.
Local time
Any other ideas on this, please????????????

I'm really under the gun here.

Thanx ;>)
Karen

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 10:28
You might try posting the question at Mr. Excel as well, if you haven't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom