ABSOLUTE WEB beginner's question (1 Viewer)

jan@BRU

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:38
Folks,

I appreciate that this question is absolute rookie level, still I hope you forgive for still asking it.

I have been developing ms access desktop applications for some time, works ok, for what it's worth. Recently moved to access 2010 and discovered the "deploy it easily on the web" functionalities. I tested to create some web access databases and works fine...

BUT: How do I actually deploy them to the web. I have a domain registered and a hosting service... but can't get to upload my nice and new database with all its form, bells and whistles?

Do I have to authorize that at the hosting service? Don't I need to provide any passwords and stuff...

The demo videos you find everywhere on the web, just plainly skip that configuration step and just say "upload it to the sharepoint site".... but how?

Thanks,

Jan

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 18:38
Access databases developed for Web deployment can only be used from a SharePoint site.

SharePoint is defined and explained here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/what-is-sharepoint-HA010378184.aspx

Here is a video about what SharePoint is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19NLKQBXxoM

If you do not have your own instance of SharePoint on a server, or you do not work for a company that has SharePoint available, you can rent space on a SharePoint server.

A quick search for "rent sharepoint server space" will produce multiple results where anyone can get their own SharePoint space.

Hope this helps.

jan@BRU

Registered User.
Local time
Hello,
thanks for the reply. I have done as told. Thing is, the only thing I can find in the way of Sharepoint server space is something that costs upwards of 30$/month just for that service , while my regular hosting is something like 5$...

Two additional questions on that:

- While I appreciate, this shouldn't be an advertisement site, but does the community have any advise on a "cheap" sharepoint addition to my normal hosting ...
- Would I have to bring over my regular hosting to the new hoster's website, or can you "hook" up the Sharepoint services as a subdomain to the existing hosting? I mean, not that I cared either, it's just to know on how to do it.

Many thanks once again,

Jan

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 18:38
The space you would lease on the SharePoint server would be where you would have to have your Access database. You would not need your other hosting for your database. I suppose you could have a link on your hosted site to the SharePoint site where your database would be located.

The two are totally seperate.

I really can't give you any advise on leasing space on a SharePoint server. I am currently working a contract with a internation company and they have their own SharePoint server as well as multiple sites for the world wide company.

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:38
Jan one option maybe to convert your Access Database to VB.NET and use and SQL Database as trhe back end. your provider would be able to advices you with help files to convert and what other information maybe needed.

Also have you considered looking to use Open Source software, something like Joomla 1.52 or WordPress. As it states these are Open Source so that means its free. You would need the support of an SQL database which your provider could provide.

You can run all sorts of Shopping carts, have secure areas for your members etc to log into.

mispiece

Banned
Local time
I think Trevor's advice is probably the easiest way out. :D

Jan one option maybe to convert your Access Database to VB.NET and use and SQL Database as trhe back end. your provider would be able to advices you with help files to convert and what other information maybe needed.

Also have you considered looking to use Open Source software, something like Joomla 1.52 or WordPress. As it states these are Open Source so that means its free. You would need the support of an SQL database which your provider could provide.

You can run all sorts of Shopping carts, have secure areas for your members etc to log into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom