Question Access 2010 migration from 2007 corruption (1 Viewer)

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:39
Hi,

We have recently migrated the employee's computers from Windows XP SP3 and Office 2007 to Windows 7 and MS Office 2010. Since this upgrade our helpdesk has received a high number of calls related to MS Access databases that were working fine in Access 2007. Unfortunately whilst some of these are VB compatability issues which have been fixed there is one common fault I can't track down...basically these databases are split (not always, but most are and those are the most important ones) and after a period of time the users report the database become's inoperable and they can no longer use it.

The most common error appears when trying to re-open the databse:

"Unrecognised Database format..."

All of the users are using MS Office 2010 as far as I know and it has happend on databases with 1,2, 5 and 10 or more users. I can't pin it down.

Has anyone else had any issues migrating from 2007 to 2010 (databases were already .accdb). I've read this link but I don't think it applies here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/office/dn602608%28v=office.14%29.aspx

Any help/advice would be appreciated? Every time it happens we have to restore the files and work is lost.

EDIT: No design changes have been made to these databases. No A2010 features have been enabled etc the only thing the users will be doing will be adding records.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:39
Actual data loss in Access is very rare on split databases - are you running shared front ends or does each user have their own copy of the front end?

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
On the most recent problematic database I advised them to use their own copy of the front ends. I explicitly said not to use a shortcut of the front end. I have also tested both the front end and the _be...the _be is the one which is corrupt, i can access the front end without any problems.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:39
How is the backend stored and being accessed?
If it's over WAN or Wireless you are most likely looking at the source of your problem.
I'm assuming you only have tables stored in the backend?

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
No, it's a LAN - conventional file server's share and yes it's only tables in the back end. I am actually considering saving back to a .mdb file to see if that improves things..

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 19:39
I explicitly said not to use a shortcut of the front end.

And everybody's got the memo and is complying, right?

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
And everybody's got the memo and is complying, right?

well ...thats the million dollar question but I believe so...yes. I think it likely they are as it's actually a few different access databases and they are across various teams within my organisation so I would hate to think each distinct team is not following instructions...but I can't 100% be certain. On every test I have completed after a file restore (it's the only fix I have) it works fine on my desktop - additional note there - I am using 64bit OS...the users aren't.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Hmmm ... I'm sorry to say but your reasoning does not sound very reassuring. Simply because if they had a procedure requiring a click on some icon, if the icon remains there then so does, most likely, the procedure. Not out of any ill-will but simply because that's life. Unless you are in a strict environment guided by GMP or perhaps aerospace.

So it is not a question of beliefs but making the new bits replace the old bits, and making the old bits inaccessible.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
thanks, is that likely to cause the corruption across the databases. The corruption today was being accessed by 10 people, I know for a fact they all received a front-end copy of the database by email and were explicitly told to put it on desktop/folder and to remove any existing shortcuts from their desktop. From the 2 people who reported the problem both had adhered to this properly.

Prior to Office 2010 they were all accessing the same accdb file from shortcuts (not a split database) and in Office 2007 they never encountered any errors. I refuse to go back to this as I know some of the users other errors were probably caused by this (first user accessed and read records whilst a 2nd user updated records - evey record the first user updated was not saved to the database - instead each record was filled with hashes - they claim to have been doing this for months on Access 2007 and it worked fine).

Essentially I am blaming multi-user errors as the likely cause for these corruptions, are you agreeing? If necessary I will get each PC checked for the correct front-end file (may do so anyway).

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
I dont' know whether sharing a front end causes you grief - on many occasions one can get away with this scott-free for ages (I did :D)

My point is that procedural changes that rely on people's memories and willingness are demanding and not reliable. If you suspect that sharing frontends causes problems, then make it so that you physically cannot do it any more.

As to what causes corruption - I can only suggest that you persist in trying to pin it down. A temporary safety measure could be to shut them all down more often than hitherto, and take backups on those occasions.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
So this morning I tried to restore the file but couldn't as it was in use...I dialled onto the user who was using the database and could see the open database..it appeared to be working fine. I closed it and reopened it and it worked fine.

I then asked the user who reported the problem to try it and they encountered the error.

I then asked the user who was working fine to close and reopen the database and they received the error...

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Bump - I have no idea, but perhaps the American continent/contingent is about to wake up :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom