Access 2016 Database-Options are changing (1 Viewer)

Lilly420

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:12
Hello,

Our Access 2016 Database Option sometimes changes for no apparent reason. I have a navigation panel that is set in options to open with a form when a user opens the Database, I have it set on a tabbed view, and all my objects show.

Occasionally, upon opening the Database, the user no longer sees the Navigation Panel and the form has been removed from Options, tabbed view is removed, and only my tables show under objects...I am not sure what is causing this to happen. We have users that are working remotely and we have one person in the office right now. It started happening when we were all remote, so I thought that was the issue, because most are using WIFI and not a hard connection and the WIFI can be undependable and I know that has been the cause of other errors we have had. This time it happened when someone was in the office, she used the Database and all was fine, closed out, and then went back in and the Database had changed to the above. I did ask the question if any one tried to go in remotely and had an issue and was told no but I can't say that did not happen. This database is linked to another DB that Management uses, and they are all remote and use WIFI.

Would any one have an explanation for this or am I on the right track with the remote issues we are having.

Thanks for any help with this.

Lilly

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:12
From your description, a couple of questions might help here. Check on your Windows Update for the list of recent updates. They are usually listed in descending chronological order, so most recent updates will be higher in the list. See if you have had any MS Office updates at or near the time that this problem started.

Note that using WiFi can lead to corruption and is generally not a good idea. When your users launch your DB, the question is WHAT are they launching? Along those lines, ...

1. Is this a split DB with front-end and back-end separate?
2. If split, does each user have a private copy of the front-end?
3. Has anyone gotten the dreaded "Database is in an inconsistent state" message?
4. If you try a Compact & Repair on the DB, does it report errors in its attempt to recover stuff?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To restate as an instruction rather than as a question.
1. DB must be split into FE and BE
2. BE is stored on a shared server
3. FE is distributed (use one of the multiple methods suggested in this forum)
4. Even if you are using RD or Citrix, each user MUST be running a separate copy of the FE

Sounds like you have multiple people opening the same FE and one of them is changing it. This is not a symptom of some Access bug.

Lilly420

Registered User.
Local time
Hello,

Thank you both. This is not split, one database on the Shared Drive. Usually only 2 people use it but the Mgt Database is using these tables as well and there are 2 people that use that on a shared drive.

I proposed splitting the database to Mgt a few months ago, and they declined but I am going to try again and post your replies in an email to them.

Thank you for the help.

Lilly

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:12
Don't "propose." Tell them that a shared monolithic database risks total data loss due to corruption cause by potential locking conflicts. The split DB minimizes that by keeping the shared data in a back-end file separate from the forms, reports, queries etc. in the front-end file. It is the shared front-end features that are opened most often that lead to the issue. You completely eliminate file lock contention from the FE stuff, and by careful choice of the lock strength (i.e use NO LOCKS or OPTIMISTIC LOCKING), you minimize risk to the BE data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom