Solved ACCESS COMPACT AND REPAIR TOOL FAILURE (1 Viewer)

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:10
How do you do guys!
I am probably not getting something right or possibly something is screwed up with my Database. The size of my current database has grown to 179MB. I usually use the access compact and repair tool to run a kind of checks and fix problems if any. The database is actually split into FE & BE. The BE is password protected.

In the recent time, what I noticed is that, when I tried to use the Compact and Repair tool, the program pops out ENTER PASSWORD, I supplied that, it will pop out same dialog box requesting for my password again, I will enter it, and this will be repeated three times. The third time, the response will be WRONG PASSWORD, after which it opens the dBase without performing the repairs.

I don't know what may have gone wrong with it.

I will appreciate a way around this please.

Regards
Michael

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 08:10
Those db can corrupt,which is why you must backup every day.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Michael. I hope you are not doing the C&R over the network. Right?

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Michael. I hope you are not doing the C&R over the network. Right?

Yea,
I am actually performing all of the C & R over a network, because the database is hosted on the server.

Regards
Michael

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yea,
I am actually performing all of the C & R over a network, because the database is hosted on the server.

Regards
Michael
Not a good idea. That can cause corruption. Better, download a copy of the BE to your local machine, do the C&R on your local machine, then replace the original BE with the compacted one. Needless to say, you would want to perform this task when no one is using the database.

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Not a good idea. That can cause corruption. Better, download a copy of the BE to your local machine, do the C&R on your local machine, then replace the original BE with the compacted one. Needless to say, you would want to perform this task when no one is using the database.

Ok. I will do that, but not sure if that could be the problem because I have been doing this over the network for some times, except if the problem now is the size I am presently dealing with.

Michael

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ok. I will do that, but not sure if that could be the problem because I have been doing this over the network for some times, except if the problem now is the size I am presently dealing with.

Michael
Whether it worked in the past or not, that practice is not recommended. So, I would still highly recommend you don't do it. If after you stopped doing it and you still have problems, then we can at least rule this one out and can focus on something else.

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Whether it worked in the past or not, that practice is not recommended. So, I would still highly recommend you don't do it. If after you stopped doing it and you still have problems, then we can at least rule this one out and can focus on something else.

Ok.
I quite appreciate. I will do this and get back if need be.

Michael

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Good luck. Let us know how it goes...

Hi DBGuy,

I appreciate the last contribution. I however tried making a copy of the BE to my local machine and perform the R & C, I get the same response as I got while trying to do it over the network.

I probably feel something is wrong with my BE. Is there a way out of this please?

Regards
Michael

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi DBGuy,

I appreciate the last contribution. I however tried making a copy of the BE to my local machine and perform the R & C, I get the same response as I got while trying to do it over the network.

I probably feel something is wrong with my BE. Is there a way out of this please?

Regards
Michael
Just as an experiment...
  1. Download a copy of the BE to your local machine
  2. Remove the password
  3. Do a C&R
  4. Add the password
  5. Replace the old BE
Let us know how far you get with that.

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Just as an experiment...
  1. Download a copy of the BE to your local machine
  2. Remove the password
  3. Do a C&R
  4. Add the password
  5. Replace the old BE
Let us know how far you get with that.

DBGuy,
I quite appreciate your follow up on this case. I am so so grateful. I did as you suggested, i got exactly same response as before. But I tried something quite strange and it worked. I will like to share it with us, it probably will be helpful someday.

I created a fresh Access doc.accdb, named it just like the BE of the Copy given problem. I now imported all the objects from the Database into the fresh copy and also encrypted it with the same password of the. All the front end users were told to hold on for this, so no one was allowed to Login within this time. After encrypting, I deleted the BE for the corrupt Database and replaced it with the fresh one, and Boom it worked just fine.

Thanks to you guys. I quite appreciate.

Regards
Michael

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
DBGuy,
I quite appreciate your follow up on this case. I am so so grateful. I did as you suggested, i got exactly same response as before. But I tried something quite strange and it worked. I will like to share it with us, it probably will be helpful someday.

I created a fresh Access doc.accdb, named it just like the BE of the Copy given problem. I now imported all the objects from the Database into the fresh copy and also encrypted it with the same password of the. All the front end users were told to hold on for this, so no one was allowed to Login within this time. After encrypting, I deleted the BE for the corrupt Database and replaced it with the fresh one, and Boom it worked just fine.

Thanks to you guys. I quite appreciate.

Regards
Michael
Hi Michael. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. However, I would still highly recommend you don't do a C&R over the network in the future. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom