Access or Excel ??? Which is best (1 Viewer)

shenty

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:01
Hi all

I want to write a program. A quotation program. A quotation program that works out prices for buildings. Mainly steel framed & clad buildings. Its what we do.

I am in a pickle as to whether an excel spreadsheet (maybe with some VBA backend) or an access database (will loads of VBA backend) is the better choice.

I am fairly familiar with access VBA but not familiar at all with excel VBA.

I am fairly familiar with both access & excel and can see that excel would be a good choice as cell values are instantly recalculated based on changes to other cells. However i know how much more scope there is with access but there is a lot of VBA code to write to make it do recalculations to other tables/queries/values/fields/combos/text boxes etc etc etc.

If i used excel for example is it possible to override a calculation in a particular cell by telling it to ignore its formula ? (ie if it calculates the number of purlins is 48, but i want it to be 56) Baring in mind that the worksheet will be locked or protected so that users can't inadvertantly delete a cells formula.

A colleague had developed a very basic spreadsheet a few years ago that i have attached. I started work on an access version myself over a year ago but got too busy to go any further with it. I also began to realise how much work would be involved in doing an access version !!

So if anyone has experience in both access & excel and has an idea of what i want then i would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Socket - Original1.xls
    97 KB · Views: 99
  • Quotations.zip
    90.6 KB · Views: 84

ezfriend

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:01
My 2 cents.

I would probably go with Access. As you may already know, if you need to build/run reports in the long run, you will be glad everything is in a table and can be pulled by query. Besides that, your number of records will probably increase in the long run so keep them in Access will give you more flexibility.

Peace

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 19:01
Excel is NOT for storing data, it's for analyzing data. If you plan on storing large amounts of data, I would recommend Access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom