Access Registry Updates (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:38
You need to set this one to allow a network location:
Code:Copy to clipboard
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\17.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations]
"AllowNetworkLocations"=dword:00000001

Here is what a local path looks like: for C:\Data
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\17.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location0]
"Path"="C:\\Data\\"
"AllowSubfolders"=dword:00000001
"Description"=""
"Date"="5/30/2011 3:06 AM"

Here is what a UNC path looks like: for \\Pat-pc\pat-pc\data
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\17.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location1]
"Path"="\\\\Pat-pc\\pat-pc\\Data\\"
"AllowSubfolders"=dword:00000001
"Description"=""
"Date"="06/28/11 2:06 PM"

This one you should have. Access installs it when it is installed:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\17.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location2]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\Office17\\ACCWIZ\\"
"Description"="Access default location: Wizard Databases"

For the individual locations, you need to supply a unique name. Above you see Location0, Location1, Location2. Doesn't matter what the name is but it must be unique.

Type RegEdit in the search box for windows. It will open the registry. Drill down using the path structure above. 17.0 is my version of office. Yours might be different so change it as necesary. If you have multiple versions in the list, add the keys to the newest version.

To prevent having to constantly add new folders to trust, create a folder pretty high up in the hierarchy and trust it as well as its subfolders and always put your access databases somewhere in that hierarchy. So you need a minimum of three keys
1. to trust folders on the network
2. to trust a high level folder on your C:\ drive
3. to trust a high level folder on your server drive - you could use a mapped drive letter but I prefer to use UNC name for this.

If you name the text file with .rga as the extension, Windows will know it is a registry update and will run the update if you double click it. Sooooooooo be careful to not double click if you want to open it but not run it. Right click and choose Edit.

Your Network Administrator can (and should) do this for you. He can distribute to all the user computers. You just have to give him the keys you need to add.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:38
Hi Pat
All versions of Access since 2016 have been 16.0.
There is no such thing as Access 17.0 so none of the above registry paths are correct.
The registry paths should be like:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location1

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:38
I have an Office 17.0 and 18.0 in my registry hive. But I did mention that people needed to look at their own registry to determine what version to use.

Yours might be different so change it as necessary. If you have multiple versions in the list, add the keys to the newest version.

I just added a new key using Access and it went into the 16.0 hive. I looked at the keys in 17 and 18 and they seem to have been added by Juan Soto's install process when I installed his COVID database because the only keys in those two versions are to trust his COVID db location. Apparently, he blanketed the registry. Keys from that install went into 12.0, 14.0, 15.0, 16.0, 17.0, and 18.0

So, it looks like you can make up your own number when adding to the hive and there doesn't have to actually be a matching Office version installed.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:38
At one time I also had a 17.0 in the registry ...
However, that was something I added just before 2019 was released to create trusted locations using Visual Installer.
Once I realised that the 16.0 version numbering had been retained, I removed the superfluous 17.0 entry

All versions since 2016 are version 16.0 as they all share the same code base with certain features enabled/disabled according to the license purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom