Access Requery Issue (1 Viewer)

Brenv20

New member
Local time
Today, 09:06
Joined
Feb 23, 2024
Messages
1
The company I work for uses multiple access databases to plan, schedule, and document conversations for associates. We have them all split into an access backend which is stored on our network's shared drive. All front ends are distributed and stored on people's OneDrive/personal drive. A few weeks ago, almost all of our access databases started constantly refreshing/requering. When we are inside any form on the front end after about 15-30 seconds it reruns and takes you to the top. This is naturally started to cause people to overwrite data and a lot of frustration.

We did not change anything in our databases to cause this. Some of them are connected together, however this is even affecting the ones at aren't connected. These databases are old, but I've dug into the code and timer intervals, there is nothing that changed to cause it. We are also getting random errors now while using it, the most common being "Cannot open a form whose underlying query contains a user-defined function that attempts to set or get the form's RecordsetClone property".

I have tried everything including restoring previous versions, moving both the front and backend to my personal drive, combining them into one database, archiving tons of data, pulling the tables and everything into fresh access databases, stripping out unused forms (code is compiled with no errors), compacting/repairing, digging up old unused versions not connected, etc. I've reached out to our IT, they assure me that there are no group policies, everything is normal on the server side, and there were no updates made to cause this. I am finding it weird that almost all Access Databases are having the same behavior at the same time.

The current version of Office we are using is 2308 (Build 16731.20550) on Windows 10. I know this setup is really not ideal for what is doing. We are looking to get it moved, but in the meantime, I have to figure it out.

Edit: I should clarify a bit more. The backend is on a network share drive and the production accde version is also there for users to pull it out and put in in their personal drive. Front ends aren’t shared, however with our corp policy all our files are stored in OneDrive.
 
Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:06
Joined
Feb 19, 2002
Messages
43,491
We did not change anything in our databases to cause this.
When you share the FE using a cloud drive, if any user changes the FE, the change propagates to the cloud drive and then down to all other computers so I would start by figuring out if someone changed the FE to cause this new behavior.

REMEMBER, Every time you open an Access database, Access changes the modified date. We don't know what it changed internally but simply opening and closing results in some update. Beyond that, user changes also get saved. If one person adds a sort to a form and says yes to the save prompt, or if you automatically save the object when you close it (bad practice), then the user doesn't even get prompted.
 
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:06
Joined
Feb 28, 2001
Messages
27,327
Depending on the cloud drive's refresh triggering parameters, this could be caused by having the FE on the cloud. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an FE be placed where it is subject to automatic cloud-style refreshing while it is active. A cloud refresh when NOT active isn't a problem unless the refresh is old enough to be from a time prior to an update. What is active in memory will be OK, but that part that is NOT in memory is subject to the "too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome, also known as destructive interference.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom