Tip Access Runtime 2007 installation error (1 Viewer)

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:32
Hi

I've just issued a database to a user with Windows Vista, using Access Runtime 2007. The CD used to deploy the database appears not to be corrupted, and installs the program and database FINE onto one of his laptops.

However, on his other laptop the Database gets linked to open with WordPad (!), and the desktop shortcut icon reflects this incorrect association. When the desktop shortcut is double-clicked then sure enough Wordpad gets loaded and not the Access database!

All the expected files have definitely been copied from the CD onto the hard drive, as too has MS Access Runtime 2007 so I'm dumbfounded at what's going on as you can imagine.

I have tried changing the application with which the database opens, but haven't been able browse to/locate the Runtime application file (.exe) to which the database should be linked, perhaps if I could this would be the answer to the problem? Anyone know where it's hiding?

Anyone had any similar experience? Could there perhaps simply be a corruption on the Laptop (Vista)?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Right this is something to do with file associations in windows. If I'm right the runtime extensions for 2007 is accdr. Go to command prompt (Start -> Run -> type "cmd") - without the quotes, hit enter. In command prompt enter the following command.

assoc .accdr
Then hit enter.

Type this:
assoc .accdr=ACCESS.ACCDRFile.12
Then hit enter.

Now try to open your database. That should work.

By the way, have you tried using "Open File Location" under the properties of the shortcut to locate your runtime database?

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
Many Thanks for your time and effort!

That sounds like it makes perfect sense, I will create a short procedure based on your response and get my user to test it this evening.

Yes, you're correct that access runtime files are converted from .mdb (pre-Access2007) or .accdb formats to .accdr

I will feedback the result either here or by PM to you.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You do that and let me know. It might be best to ask your user to first of all check the association before performing the above. Tell the user to type (in command prompt):

assoc | more
Hit enter.

That would stop the screen on the first page. I'm sure you know your bash commands anyway:)

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
Well I think some progress has been made, but not outright success as yet.

When opening the database the user now gets the message:-

"database.accdr is not a valid win32 application"

So ... I think his system is at least recognising the database correctly as an accdr file, but it's throwing out a new problem?

Any thoughts? Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling should be considered?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Does your msi installation come with Access runtime or does it asks the user to install it seperately? Try installing runtime first, then install your db. Or you could just include the runtime in your msi and set it to install without prompt.

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
I package the solution with MS Access Runtime and the full installation is automatic (albeit with a few mouse clicks along the way) ... the way it installs is that the database files get copied across first, then the Access Runtime.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes that's right. That's the usual sequence of events.

Just going back to my previous question: did you try locating the file using "Find Target" (pre Vista) or "Open File Location" (post XP)?

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
Right this is something to do with file associations in windows. If I'm right the runtime extensions for 2007 is accdr. Go to command prompt (Start -> Run -> type "cmd") - without the quotes, hit enter. In command prompt enter the following command.

assoc .accdr
Then hit enter.

Type this:
assoc .accdr=ACCESS.ACCDRFile.12
Then hit enter.

Now try to open your database. That should work.

By the way, have you tried using "Open File Location" under the properties of the shortcut to locate your runtime database?

You're referring to the last sentence? No ... just tried the "assoc" trick thus far.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Locate the file using that and "Open With" (also ticking the "Always open with application"... checkbox, that will also change the file associations. Let us know how things go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom