Access startup very very slow (1 Viewer)

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
@strive4peace , my documents folder is on the network. I dont have any accdt files on there. That Path is configurable?

if you download a template, they will appear. Access will look in any case, and this may be what is adding the time. I don't know if it is configurable -- good question. I have a feeling though, they will go wherever your Documents folder is defined for your username, as they do NOT go in your default database folder. You can also download templates from the web ... Northwind, for instance, such as demonstrated in this video tutorial:

Get Northwind Database Template for Microsoft Access

When you create a blank database with Windows Explorer using right-click to make a blank one, or make a database by copying a file, Access won't look for templates.

Vgmj

Local time
Today, 00:56
The waiting time looks like a network time out, maybe Access is trying to lookup some templates in web. Is it possible to disable that feature? Or apply some workaround ?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
The waiting time looks like a network time out, maybe Access is trying to lookup some templates in web.

probably yes -- and if you've downloaded any templates, they'll be offered on the list of choices -- so Access is also looking for templates you've already gotten in case you want them again.

For instance, Northwind wasn't on my choices until after I downloaded it -- then it was there to pick from in case I want to use it again. After downloading other templates, the accdt files were in that folder too.

Is it possible to disable that feature? Or apply some workaround ?

create new databases another way, without using the UI (user interface),

How often do you create new databases?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just an observation from the sidelines. You originally said "15 seconds" for your delay. Now you suggest it could be a network timeout. There is a way to confirm this. Ask your IT guys if they have developed some sort of group policy that sets timeouts to 15 seconds. I say that because the default for an "out of the box" version of Windows is 30 seconds. So if it really IS 15 seconds and is a timeout, then someone has locally diddled with it and should be able to tell you that it has been diddled.

Vgmj

Local time
@The_Doc_Man , i said 15sec without counting the time with a clock. I have just counted and it is precisely 30 seconds. Sorry about my misinformation. So the theory of the time out is reinforced. Is there a way to avoid this connection/timeout?

@strive4peace , when i Open Access application and click on shared the following info appears "sorry, se had some trouble connecting to get templates and can't show them right how" without any timeout. Can this be related with the delay openning in the openning of an Access dB?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
@strive4peace , when i Open Access application and click on shared the following info appears "sorry, se had some trouble connecting to get templates and can't show them right how" without any timeout. Can this be related with the delay openning in the openning of an Access dB?

it is my opinion that trying to get and show templates is largely what is making it slow when new databases are created. I supposed that might impact databases that already exist, but if they don't have linked tables (do they?), I would wonder why! ... unless opening the Access application automatically loads templates. That sort of information is in somewhat of a black hole

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I concur that with that 30-second timing, it is probably a network timeout of some sort. Your IT guys can still help you if they have logs because they would be able to see what site you were trying to reach in their firewall logs.

You would need a precise start time and the IP address of your machine. For a Win10 system, click the lower-left Windows icon, then the "gear" then the "Network and Internet" settings then finally "View your network properties." You would have to scroll a bit, perhaps, to find a connection that wasn't in "disconnected" state - but if you have a VPN, at least ONE connection MUST be connected and there is where you would find your IP address.

With a time and an IP, your network guys would be able to see WHERE you are going. If it is a Microsoft server, then you are probably looking for information about a template file, but there is also the possibility that you have agreed to share info about your Office experience (and then blocked off the way that this sharing would be done.)

There is another oddball chance, though... I had issues after switching to Win10, which was doing its damnedest to persuade me to switch to Office 365 every time I tried to use Access. Since my home network didn't block it, I got an annoying-as-hell pop-up. I had to search around to remove the link that was doing it. I recall I had to remove a "stub" from the list of installed products.

Vgmj

Local time
Just to conclude the tópic, i raise a ticket to the network guys with this subject. The 30 seconds timeout disappear , so, everything points to some missed configuration on proxy/network. Thanks guys for all the discussion/ideas.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Just to conclude the tópic, i raise a ticket to the network guys with this subject. The 30 seconds timeout disappear , so, everything points to some missed configuration on proxy/network. Thanks guys for all the discussion/ideas.
you're welcome ~ happy you're running fast again ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom