Access Stop Working (1 Viewer)

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:13
Hi,
Recently I have noted that when every I make an entry in Access and when I log out I get Access Stopped Working and see below Reliability Report.
Is that and Access problem or an OS issue?
Source
Microsoft Access

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎27/‎04/‎2018 19:52

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\MSACCESS.EXE

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MSACCESS.EXE
Application Version: 16.0.4666.1000
Application Timestamp: 5a836df6
Fault Module Name: StackHash_a21d
Fault Module Version: 10.0.16299.334
Fault Module Timestamp: e508fc03
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: PCH_D1_FROM_ntdll+0x00000000000A0E14
OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: a21d
Additional Information 2: a21de61165922c79cccebe6ef4c0cf02
Additional Information 3: 9eed
Additional Information 4: 9eedfa4726acdc19bc30b0da564793c1

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 3d6b14d222a09059aca865ca0fb16980 (2065012347670456704)
Please excuse if this not the appropriate forum.
Thanking you
Rayh151

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:13
Try this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...c0000374/9eb1251f-5a7d-4401-a955-155ac432e6ea

This is a "Heap" corruption which MIGHT be caused by an incompatible add-in. Do you have any "foreign" DLLs installed for a special function? Like maybe trying to do automation for a third-party utility?

The actual faulting call is part of the Windows O/S as indicated by these two lines:

Code:
Fault Module Version: [COLOR="Red"]10.0.16299[/COLOR].334
OS Version: [COLOR="red"]10.0.16299[/COLOR].2.0.0.768.101

The "Additional information" reports #2 and #4 involve 128-bit quantities. By any chance were you doing anything with IPV6 modules? I doubt it because the pattern is wrong, but it was either that or you are diddling around with trying to do something with a 128-bit graphics card quantity - and THAT doesn't look quite right either.

And yes, for this kind of error, the General forum is totally appropriate.

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Thanking very much for your prompt and informative reply.
Firstly, I must confess to a level of competence of merely carrying out your suggested functions and waiting to see what happens.
This machine has only Office Professional Plus 2106 Version 16.0.4266.1001, PDF Architect 5, Roots Magic 7.7.5.0 (32 Bit) and MailWasher Free. I use the machine mainly for Genealogy Research and I have a few small Access databases for some community projects that I am involved. I also have a small Scripted Backup bat file that I use to backup to a USB drive. My default printer is an Epson DX9400F.
The machine is a HP Envy, Windows 10 64 – Bit, AMD A10-8700p Radeon R6, 8Gb with AMD Radeon R6 Graphics.
For the past year or so, I have been having a Blue Screen issue and on advice from HP have recently carried out a full system recovery, which has not resolved the Blue Screen issue, but instead has now added the MS Access issue. This fault occurs whenever I add new records to only one of my Access databases (3,324 Kb) and or does it occur in any other Office application.
Your support is much appreciated.
Thanking you
Rayh151
Retired a decade and a half - don't know what I am doing, but I sure am busy doing it

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 07:13
As the problem only occurs with one of your databases, I think there is a different explanation. I believe you have compile code that has been corrupted.
If I'm right, this should be easy to fix by DECOMPILING.

For further details and instructions, see this site http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Performance/Decompile.asp

After decompiling, open your database as normal and the problem should have disappeared. Next recompile from the Debug menu in the visual basic editor and finally run a compact and repair.

If your database is now all ok, suggest you make a backup copy just in case it happens again

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:13
rayh - in your configuration you didn't mention whether that was 32-bit or 64-bit Office.

As to the "crash"... you copied the crash data (good idea, by the way) but your description was a bit more concise than we need. You say you make an entry into Access and then you log out and get that error.

What do you do to make an entry? Are we talking about using a form bound to a table? A direct entry into a table or an updateable query? Some sort of import process from something created by a third party or another part of Office, like Excel? Something else?

Then you log out. But how did you log in? Did you put a password on the database using the Access facility to do so? Or did you write a login procedure? Or were you speaking generically to refer to just closing the database?

Ridders is correct that your problem is probably centered on one database if you aren't complaining about the other databases, though it of course still depends on what you do and how you use the other databases you mentioned.

But the fact of getting a BSD isn't something to toss off lightly. If you have access to the exception code from the BSD, it is POSSIBLE (though not at all certain) that the two situations are related. Knowing the exception code might help us to determine whether the events are related or independent.

To GET that code, use Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer. In Event Viewer you have access to all of the major log files. You want the System log, where you should have a detailed log of the most recent BSD - unless (a) you have cleaned out the log or (b) the BSD has not happened for a long enough time that the old logs "fell off the end" of the system log. If you find one such event, you can copy the error entry like you did for the appcrash event.

The event logs kept by your computer sometimes have specific app logs as well as the "standard" System, Security, Application, and Device Driver logs. Remember that they are time tagged so it is very easy to scroll to the time at which a BSD or App Crash event occurred.

Always, when you have such a nasty event, IMMEDIATELY note the time of day and date, so you don't have to search the logs ad infinitum to find what you want. Usually, anything significant will appear no more than one minute before or after the "nasty" event. Check the other logs for the same time to see if more than one event occurred at the moment or in close time sequence with your more visible event. By "close time sequence" we are talking seconds of time difference, and probably 1 to 3 seconds tops. Since all logs are based off the system clock, they WILL be time-synchronized.

One added bit of advice - Ridders is again right to suggest a decompile & recompile exercise and he gave you a good reference. But he put the cart before the horse. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS if you are going to be dinking around in the structure of a database, make a backup copy BEFORE you start. If your efforts fail, you copy the backup to replace the irretrievable file. If your efforts appear to succeed, then make a new backup and discard the old backup before you start using the retrieved copy on a regular basis.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just to say I agree totally about backing up BEFORE doing what I recommended. Although I've never lost a database as a result of decompiling it's ALWAYS wise to make a backup before doing anything to the structure. Compacting definitely can make databases unusable in certain circumstances.

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Thanking both Ridders and The Doc Man for your assistance.
I have completed a Decompile and found a few errors - mostly errors related to changes in Forms, but not recent changes.
I will have to enter some new data later in the week and will report back, so don't go away.
Leave me some time to digest the issues around the BDS problem as I now can consider as separate and not related issues.
Once again thanking you both
rayh151

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Decompiling shouldn't find errors.
The errors will be picked up when you try to compile.

Also, make sure you tick Require Variable Declaration in VBE Options then add the line Option Explicit as the second line in ALL code modules after Option Compare Database.
Now compile again. There may be additional issues you missed before.

Of course, BACKUP first :D

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, should have read Compile.
Once again thanking you.
Regards
rayh151

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom